suprima boiler fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton suprima boiler which keeps blowing the 3 A fuse on the boiler PCB.

anyone got an intimate knowledge of the suprima PCB? what circuits does the onboard fuse protect?

The problem occurred naturally, after a fairly extended period of not using the CH system at all.

The problem does not appear to be the board (have tried 2 boards, both produce same fault),
it's unlikely to be the circulating pump (wiring checked & pump spindle turns freely)
it doesn't appear to be the gas valve (meters OK)

Sponsored Links
Most likely to be the pump!

Try supplying it from a seperate source fused at 3 A.

Could also be water in a motor valve.

Tony

I would go for the pump first. Remove the pump live from boiler terminal, turn boiler back on. If fuse doesn't blow then it is the pump ;)

Sponsored Links
wise words, thanks for the quick posts. The plot, as always, is thickening.... apparently the boiler case is showing 240V wrt earth.
there has in the recent past been a bit of "rewiring" done in the vicinity of the boiler and/or pump, possibly a loose earth somewhere...

sounds like this one might be an amalgamation of a "simple" CH fault which has now been combined with a wiring fault....

fan aint been checked yet, but turns nicely and smells good. I feel that once the unearthed case has been fixed the pcb fuse will stop blowing and peace will be restored to the universe.

Case is probably earthed through pipe work or fan anyway. You should be looking for the cause of it being live, not just getting the case earthed :eek:

know what you mean but... case is not LIVE live, just reading 240V with a fluke. Well, at least I'm assuming that it's not live live as it hasn't given anyone a belter yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back