suprima probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Graham Powell said:
Just in case everybody was worried that I might have been launched into outer space by the explosive ignition, I shall put your minds at rest. The saga continues but just possibly may becoming to some sort of conclusion.
Since the last posting, the 2 foot of 15mm pipe has been replaced with 22mm. There is now only 2 inches of 15mm into the boiler. This may have made a slight difference, but did not cure the problem. Next the burner was changed. Absolutely no difference. Then I had a suggestion from another newsgroup that fluctuations in the mains voltage could have an effect on the flame detection circuit. The mains voltage does indeed vary between about 233V to 241V, but could not really detect any pattern between volts and explosive ignition.
So now I conclude that the only way explosive ignition can occur is that unburnt gas has got into the flue before enough gas has passed over the sparking electrodes. A previous posting describes the mechanical construction of this boiler, and how I thought this was possible. Fortunately this construction provides for some simple experimentation. I have now placed a carefully hand crafted piece of right angled pipe under the burner to deflect some of the incoming air/gas mixture to the other side of the burner (where the electrodes are). The effect so far has been dramatic. To date I have had no explosive ignition. A few more weeks are required to confirm. And what's more, the consistency of the ignition has now improved. Whereas before, even when the ignition was not explosive, the loudness of the resulting pop would vary from virtually nothing to something of concern. But now I can hardly hear the ignition at all. I daresay that in a couple of weeks, I shall be proved wrong, but so far the results are very encouraging and could prove that the Suprima 120L either has a design fault or requires such careful setting up that it is more by luck than good judgement it works correctly.
I am now waiting for the thought police to come and take me away.

I eagerly await your reply....I have searched for months on this problem too....I have this boiler in my house supplying HW/CH and it does exactly the same as yours....I have had a potterton engineer run the same tests..replaced the PCB but still no joy......I have recently replaced the probes on mine and that cured it for a couple of months but now the same problem has returned....my boiler is fed with a 22 gas pipe so i know its not that...as for spikes on the mains...i doubt that....so tell me has your deflection plate worked and if so can you send me a diagram of where you placed it.....thanks

MOD 2

please don't hijack posts

Sponsored Links
Opening the combustion chamber should only be done by a CORGI engineer and unapproved modifications could even invallidate the household insurance.

On a Suprima 60 I cured a unreliable ignition by carefully moving the spark electrode to a very slightly different position in relation to the holes in the burner. It seemed very critical but made the difference between immediate ignition and none at all with just one mm of movement.

Tony

The modification is still working perfectly after a year. You only have to open the front cover of the Suprima 120L to see the potential problem.
I shall try and get some photos. Anybody interested send an e-mail

MOD 2

put your e mail in your profile please

....my boiler is fed with a 22 gas pipe so i know its not that
Most S120 installations need bigger than 22mm. It depends on the length of, and bends in, the pipe.

Sponsored Links
well i have had noticed a few of my contract customers with 120 suprimas.
that lock out happens when a call for ignition is recieved and the working pressure at boiler drops to below 13 m.bar.
when burner up and running a working pressure of 21 m.bar is present.
so i have informed transco of this situation and they call out and exchange gas governor.then never a call back.[lazy governor syndrom]

apart from the stupid git who installed a commerical range cooker on my 28mm supply to a 120 suprima.my guage was going up and down so much i got dizzy.the words stupid was my second choice.

Kier - does the lockout happen at ignition or when the fan & gas flow ramp up?

Graham Powell yes I'd be interested to see what you did.

Yes please Graham....just need your email address...I changed the electrodes on mine a couple of months ago and its been as good as gold....until now...so guess they have heated up and slightly moved out of critical alignment..!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back