Surface clipped wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys....

my mate is doing his house up....extending into the loft and fitting it out as a Study / Bedroom....it is quite old with lovely old beams and cross pieces, purloins etc...he has asked if it is possible to surface mount the flat T&E lighting cables in order to conceal as much as possible....any advice or tips on cable concealment in old properties.?...........thanks in advance..... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'd assume that he intends to lag and plasterboard between the rafters.

If so that's an obvious cable hide away, although cable will be derated due to thermal insulation material.
If the cable is installed in plastic conduit and is not in contact with the insulation cable isn't derated- ref method 3 / same as standard clipped surface cable.

Cable colour for TE is grey or white, so neither are discrete as far as surface runs are concerned.

In the theme of warehouse style, limps of black conduit and lamps hanging off jack chain, fed from rose / junction with black cord flex can blend in in an 'industrial' way.

If the beams are being painted black you could use a 3 core 1.0mm black flex cable (which is rated at 10 amps) for all the light feeds.

Hi Chri5

Cheers for that.....will probably just surface mount....as discreetly as I can...

ATB...

What about running the wiring in wooden trunking, and staining or painting it to match the beams?

Sponsored Links
you can also paint plastic mini-trunking...one flowing coat of non-drip gloss. Paint before fixing tokeep paint off the wall or timber.

thanks guys....lots to choose from there.....painting eh ?....wonder if it does what it says on the tin....

ATB..........

ahhh...wooden trunking... when I was working in Ipswich by a building that had formerly been a coal-fired generator (and probably owned by the electricity company for a hundred years) they were digging up the road one day,and found oak trunking, filled with pitch, with great steel cables in it, running towards the other building.

Lovely industrial archeology.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back