Surface mount cables from other side of wall to switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an exposed solid brick wall and don't really want trunking showing to the light switches.

Can the cables be surface mounted on the opposite side of the wall, and connected to the switches through the wall?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, inside - another room but just a kids room - far less important than the kitchen! :)

Can't see any problem with it from a regs point of view, seems a crap soloution though (sure the ugliness is moved into the kids room but still surface mount cables that don't appear to serve any purpose looks very naff IMO)

If the other side of the wall is plastered then burried steel conduit (steel because it would be a concealed cable and not in a safe zone) on the other side of the wall seems like the best option to me.

Alternatively you could put it in surface steel conduit in the kitchen, IMO steel conduit and metalclad accessories goes nicely with bare brick.

Sponsored Links
Short answer Yes.
Of course cables should be mechanically protected so trunking or conduit if not buried more than 50mm.

If you do use trunking it can look naff.
However using natural corners and full length runs can reduce this.

Example - if you are feeding a point halfway down a wall then don't just trunk half way down the wall but make it full length from floor to ceiling, it wastes a bit of trunking as much of it will be empty but is far more pleasing to the eye.

surface mount cables that don't appear to serve any purpose looks very naff

The room it's in really doesn't matter - the point is that the kitchen is 100 times as important so why would I even worry about the play room? Having said that, the steel conduit sounds not bad, although I anticipate there will be 4 or 4 circuits so will be a lot of them, unless they are available for wider/numerous cables?

Short answer Yes.
Of course cables should be mechanically protected so trunking or conduit if not buried more than 50mm.

That statement is wrong when RCBO or an RCD protects :D

although I anticipate there will be 4 or 4 circuits so will be a lot of them, unless they are available for wider/numerous cables?

If you don't want to chase them into the wall, why don't you put them in surface mount steel, then box around the steel with plasterboard.

Fill any joints and paint.

Hassle free way of concealing cables.

why don't you put them in surface mount steel, then box around the steel with plasterboard

Because I don't want to see any cables as if it's a switch on a stud wall.

Wireless switches, e.g. the ones Malc suggested will mean no cables for light switches, but what about sockets and other control accessories?

Pyro can look OK on brick walls, or if you run horizontally can be buried in the mortar joins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back