Surface water to Foul drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just found out that my conservatory down pipe drains into the foul water drain. The conservatory was built over ten years ago and up until now I didn't realise I had a problem. Does this mean I have to rip up my patio to install a soakaway which is going to be extremely difficult given the site conditions, would this mean I would need building regulations, or is there any other option. The person who built it is unfortunately no longer with us so I cannot go back to him.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I have not made myself very clear I have been told that it is not lawful to run surface water into a foul water drain. As I am selling my house I am worried that this will be a problem. I know absolutely nothing about drainage, so are you suggesting that this will not be a problem?

Sponsored Links
Well seeing as so much time has elapsed from when it was done you are well beyond (like a decade or more) whereby any prosecution could be brought about so forget about it.

Besides it is lawful in certain circumstances though BC approval would be required.

Ok thanks for the quick reply. I have said on the solicitors form that we are not connected to mains surface water, so the purchasers solicitor is asking where the surface water drains to as the searches have come back saying that the surface water does not drain to a public sewer.
I believed that all of the surface water drained to soakaways until this came about and have signed as such to the water board.
I am willing to put this right, if necessary, but it would delay the selling process and probably the chain would collapse.
I am worried that this is going to open up a can of worms and I am going to lose the sale of my property.

How do you know your other rwp's do not just drain into the foul? As is commonplace for millions of properties.

Searches from water company are notoriously inaccurate and your solicitor should know that.

Actually I don't but the other pipes go right into the ground and I am assuming that they go to soakaways whereas the one from the conservatory drains into an "open" drain which you can visibly see.
Because my wife and I want to get it sorted we have phoned the water company and they are going to come and have a look at it this afternoon might prove costly but it will be peace of mind.
I'll let you know what happens, fingers crossed

Oh gawd it gets worse, if there is more of a requirement for drainage than you are paying for already your water bill may increase.

Not sure if it's a silly idea, or something you've thought about and thrown out… what about putting that down pipe into a waterbutt?

I had thought about doing that but judging how fast the water butt fills up on my six foot greenhouse it would probably need emptying on a regular basis having said that if it was going to save me a couple of grand it would be worth reconsidering.
The water company failed to show this afternoon so I am hoping that they will turn up tomorrow.

The water company has come out and the chap was very very helpful he went through the various options to remedy the problem and after consulting with his boss I am more than happy with the outcome.
Thank you for all the replies and help much appreciated merry xmas

Hi oldduffer,

I really wanted to know about outcome and what solution they provided. It will be good learning lesson for us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back