Suspected immersion failure - am i right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a very simple looking system in my house. No central heating. No boiler. Just a single immersion that heats the water.

This morning I woke up to find that there was no hot water, just slightly tepid water.

I have checked the electricity supply to the immersion and there is no problem there, so I am assuming that I need to replace the element in the immersion? Could there be a different issue that is causing this or shoud I go ahead and get a new element in the morning?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Sponsored Links
Could be the stat, you need to check that power is coming out the otherside of the thermostat.

Dead immersions normally pop the fuse, or trip the MCB.

I did check the stat. It seems to be functioning ok.

I only recently moved into the house and prior to that nothing had been on for 9months, I don't know if suddenly being used again could cause something to break?

Use a multi meter to check resistance of the immersion heater.
Should be around 18 ohms.

Sponsored Links
Not got a multi-meter around right now.

In reality what else could be causing my lack of hot water?

Mcb/fuse faulty.
Stat faulty.
Element faulty.
Bad connection.

Need a multi meter to check them really.

ok thanks.

There is nothing wrong with the electrical supply or the connections. The stat appears to be working alright so i'm still thinking it's the element.

Check on the stat to see if it has a reset button.
Then push it in with a pin etc.

If it's an older stat it may not have one.

sdfwaf.jpg

You need a multimeter as explained above. You can buy them for a few quid. I bought a wee pocket one the other day for 4 quid.
To check the element with a multimeter you employ Ohms Law;
3000Watt(3KW)
-----------
240Vac
=
12.5Amps

240Vac
--------
12.5Amps
=
19.2 Ohms Resistance
As stated above, measure the Ohms resistance through the element.

All fine except that for calculation purposes the mains is assumed to be 230v now and that produces an element resistance of 18 ohms.

Tony

All fine except that for calculation purposes the mains is assumed to be 230v now and that produces an element resistance of 18 ohms.

Tony

Quite right Tony. I just used 240Vac as a simpler way of explaining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back