Immersion heater element burns out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My immersion heating element seems to burn out every 1.5 years. The hot water in the flat is provided by the immersion heater and an electric shower.

I have replaced the immersion heating element with a titantinium one but it still seem to burn out just as regularly.

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Whats the supply voltage in your property? You may have a higher voltage than allowable, I have measured up to 260vac on domestic. Your immersion will be rated 230vac, which would reduce lifespan if high.
Loose terminals in circuit?

Whats the supply voltage in your property? You may have a higher voltage than allowable, I have measured up to 260vac on domestic. Your immersion will be rated 230vac, which would reduce lifespan if high.

I don't think it is a voltage problem as I have another flat in the same block and that does not have a problem.

The element gets replaced every 1.5 years so I don't think anything can be loose in the wiring as this gets replaced when the immersion heater gets replaced.

I don't think it is a voltage problem as I have another flat in the same block and that does not have a problem.

The element gets replaced every 1.5 years so I don't think anything can be loose in the wiring as this gets replaced when the immersion heater gets replaced.
It's a dedicated radial circuit so nothing much to check. Have you changed timer or mcb to rule these out?
I would check voltage at mcb position the voltage at immersion, see what difference there may be.

Sponsored Links
Is it the E7 element at the base of the cylinder?

If so, frequent failure is often down to the immersion touching a pile of limescale in the base and overcooking the element in this position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back