Suspended floor with 'dwarf wall'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a suspended floor during my garage to dining room conversion.

The floor needs raising by approx 300mm.

I have a soil pipe which needs to remain under the floor.

This is in the way of my prefered span from left to right (the short distance).

I though I could build a small dwarf wall and bed a timber on to this to take the floor joists, however, this additional 2" timber (mortar, block, mortar, DPC, mortar, 2" timber, 6" timber takes my floor that bit too high. I was thinking of ommiting the 2" timber laid flat, and simply sitting the floor joists on a DPC? I am not sure if this is ok.

Or could I build the wall a little higher and bolt a timber to the side of it, or fit joist hangers into this wall?

A crude pic will hopefully explain the above clearer!

Thanks for any input!

2u7vhb8.png

Sponsored Links
You need to give as little more info - what is the span, whats the current floor construction

You also need to think about sub-floor ventilation & insulation

The stack pipe seems to be an unusual feature - running full length of the garage above floor?

Floor is currently a concrete screed, no DPC visable, so assume none.

BCO have ok'ed cross ventilation, and the joists will have insulation as required.

The soil pipe is for a toilet in an adjacent room. The soil pipe is currently not there, as the room has been moved, but is going back.

The window has been replaced with french doors.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2eoa3hc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi, Lec,
you need to be the master of the level not it's slave,
Work down from the FFL and make your brick sub-walls finish at the height you want.
It may mean you have to start with a split course or a course of half bricks on edge laid crosswise along the length of the wall.
I would suggest some air bricks need to be put in the outer wall for venting the wood, however your BI will advise on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back