Wall plate dpc line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be constructing a suspended timber floor so i can raise the garage floor to bring it inline to the rest of the house

I'll be fixing the timber wall plate to the wall so i can hang the joist hangers, however where the wall plate is to be positioned this is directly where the dpc level is :(

I'm guessing I shouldn't be drilling into the dpc line as this is where i was planning on fixing the wall plate with rawlbolts

Are there any alternative solutions to overcome this?

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing I shouldn't be drilling into the dpc line as this is where i was planning on fixing the wall plate with rawlbolts

When you say drilling the DPC line, I'd say a wall plate for the joists should be fixed through the brick, not mortar, so your plate will be fixed into the brick above or below the DPC, not through it.

One of the more experienced on here may confirm!

If you're doing your garage conversion under building regs i would contact building control for their advice

Last edited:
When you say drilling the DPC line, I'd say a wall plate for the joists should be fixed through the brick, not mortar, so your plate will be fixed into the brick above or below the DPC, not through it.

One of the more experienced on here may confirm!

Apologies, yes you are correct, but is it acceptable if i drill just above or below into the brick? So effectively the dpc mortar line will be in-between.

I'm sure i also read somewhere if drilling it should be below the dpc rather than above?

Sponsored Links
Logically (to me anyway o_O), if the wall plate is installed below the DPC it's susceptible to damp so you'll have to take steps to prevent that.

How high above DPC is the existing floor?

I'm not an expert on this though, so just offering my opinion.

Yes. Use polythene concrete, insulation and screed. Simples.(y)

That was a consideration, however it will cost significantly more if I went down this route. So I need to go down the suspended floor route. :(

As mentioned earlier, is it acceptable to drill above or below the dpc line?

Could i use resin fixings rather than rawlbolts, would this make a difference?

Any other suggestions of fixing the wall plate to the wall without breaching the dpc?

That was a consideration, however it will cost significantly more if I went down this route. So I need to go down the suspended floor route.
You will have the additional headache of venting the floor plus fitting the insulation to a SF is a pain. I'm pretty certain the costs are similar. However with regards to finishes to a solid floor, they are far more versatile.

We were in a similar situation our BCO officer advised it was acceptable to drill either below or above the dpc into the bricks to secure the wall plate.

But worth double checking with your local BC

You will have the additional headache of venting the floor plus fitting the insulation to a SF is a pain. I'm pretty certain the costs are similar. However with regards to finishes to a solid floor, they are far more versatile.

Venting has already been done, a couple of sleeve vents were put in place when the garage opening was bricked up with a window as per the advice of the BCO

I need to make up approx 700mm in height to get to the finished floor level

From what I've gathered, if i went down the solid floor route, the insulation boards are not cheap and given the height i need to make up I'll have to purchase 150mm insulation boards and then screed the rest to make up the difference

So the suspended floor is the only option I can see at the minute

If the pole plate is located correctly i.e. about 20mm below existing floor level, then surely your fixings (which will need to be set in from the edged of the pole plate by 50mm or so) will miss the DPC in any case?

If the pole plate is located correctly i.e. about 20mm below existing floor level, then surely your fixings (which will need to be set in from the edged of the pole plate by 50mm or so) will miss the DPC in any case?

So does that mean i can drill below the dpc or just above the brick work dpc?

The dpc joint within the garage is three courses above the brickwork, which is more or less in line to the finished floor level

The sole plate will be approx 32mm below the FFL to account for chipboard flooring and laminate flooring for the final finish

Yes. And you may like to stagger them, one above and one below for alternate fixings if the timber is deep enough.

If the wall below DPC is susceptible to being damp (most wont be if internal and dry for many years), then pack the plate out on plastic packers (5mm or so)to keep it off the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back