Suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1925 property that has had complete renovation. However, in the dining room area there are still the original floorboards on wooden joists that span the length of the room. Problem is that we get a cold draught up through the floorboards via the airbricks in the void. The room was originally carpeted which would have helped cut the draughts but I don't 'do' carpets. Floorboards are originals and look fantastic now sanded and hotwaxed.

On removing a floorboard, I note that joists still look OK. The depth from the top of the joist (floor level) to the ground below is about 36cm. There appears to be a reasonable base to the ground underneath but can't tell if it is concrete although it is hard. There doesn't appear to be any damp either but then there shouldn't be as any moisture will have been evaporated by the draughts! There is no smell either which means there is hopefully no rotten timber.

If I want to help reduce the draughts, I have been advised to remove all floorboards, put beading along the length of each side of the joists about 70mm down then cut and lay sheets of kingspan (50mm) between each joist so that it rests against on beading (thus ensuring no slippage). I should then seal around the edges with expandable foam to fill any gaps and put floorboards back - no draughts, void for airbrick still intact and a simple job.

Is this a suitable remedy or should I really be looking at removing joists, insulating and concreting the void (bearing in mind the void is 36 cms deep). This is obviously a more permanent method but will cost more (about four times as much) as well as taking a lot longer to do.

Can anyone give me any advice or enlighten me on the pitfalls of the Kingspan option. Any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back