Suspended Timber Floor on Outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post on this site so I hope I have not posted in the wrong place!

I am building a Timber Outbuilding in the garden via planning due to its size and I will be coming out of the ground in foundations and 2 skins of 7n dense concrete blocks (140x215x440) to achieve a height 150mm above the ground below (ill be putting down DPM and stones to hold it down for more protection).

I am going to be laying timber joists on top of the small single skin pillar walls which span the 5m width (3 of them) and what seems like an obvious thing at first now has me racking my brains.....

So i lay all of my timber joists across these walls but what on earth am i securing them down to or with? Is the sole plate binding them all together or should I be fixing each one to the concrete wall below?

The building drawings don't really go into the nitty gritty details. Here is a little snippet of the cross section.

I have watched countless videos and tutorials but none of them are single skin walls so they are sitting them on the inner skin which is no use to me.

Any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• TimberJoist.png
    TimberJoist.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Fit a pair of timbers around the perimeter the same height as you joists to create a solid bearer, fix you joists to this with hangers, you don't need to fix this bearer down, the whole shed won't move and this is no different to any timber shed on block or brick pads for example, don't forget to ventilate the void, something like this:

gist2.jpg

Thank you for coming back with advice. I'm hoping the air bricks male the final drawing detail but appreciate you pointing that out!

Is there a hanger example you would recommend?

Sponsored Links
Ahh perfect, thank-you. I was unaware that the metal can bend. I think building regs want to see the joist sit 100mm on the wall as a load, but I assume switching that out for the load bearer sitting on the wall and the hangers nailed to the bearer with joists slotting in is simply an alternative approach for that same goal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back