Suspended timber floor with wet underfloor heating and tile finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to fit underfloor heating with an existing timber floor and have come across the method of a suspended insulation board between and then heating pipes and screed.

However as the finished floor will be tile this will then have the floorboard and then hardie backer or something on top to take the tiles.

I am wondering if this is the correct way or as the finish will be tile this should be made up differently for better thermal transfer?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Sounds like a counter sunk sand/cement pug system - which is fine.
Make sure you put a board between the joists that the insulation can sit on, if the insulation sags down the heating may not be in contact with the underside of the floor.

Alternatives would be to have an Ali plate system with pre grooved insulation or a foil faced insulation board. Both lightweight and easy to fit.

If you are looking for a high output (or it's being linked to a low temp heat source such as a heat pump) system use a screed replacement board instead of the chipboard.

Make sure you put the right level of insulation in the floor, finding out you haven't put enough in after is a nightmare! I.e you could be left with a poor performing system that only offers floor warming.

Hope this helps.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back