Wet underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just had a sunroom built 16m2 and want underfloor heating. I cannot decide between wet or the mats. If i have wet the floor is timber suspended 600mm with polystyrene insulation between timber. Does anybody have any recommendation about how to do this? Do I replace polystyrene with a PIR board and what depth do i need to leave I want tiles on top of this and floor needs to meet existing patio door. WHat about cost to run vs cost to install for wet vs mat UFH?
ANybody who has any experience/advice please share your thoughts

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First you need to calculate or measure the heat loss.

Most UFH systems can only give a maximum of 150 watts per square metre.

I don't see any definition of a "sunroom" so cannot guess what your's is.

Most conservatories do not meet residential heat loss values and so UFH is not suitable because it cannot meet the heat demand.

There can also be building reg. issues about putting heating into areas which don't meet heat loss regulations.

You should be able to calculate the cost of heating it if you calculate or measure the heat loss.

Tony

Hi
I have just had a sunroom built 16m2 and want underfloor heating. I cannot decide between wet or the mats. If i have wet the floor is timber suspended 600mm with polystyrene insulation between timber. Does anybody have any recommendation about how to do this? Do I replace polystyrene with a PIR board and what depth do i need to leave I want tiles on top of this and floor needs to meet existing patio door. WHat about cost to run vs cost to install for wet vs mat UFH?
ANybody who has any experience/advice please share your thoughts

Thanks

Contact the UF suppliers. They should be able suggest a plan. Should work well if sunroom is built to proper spec

Is your sunroom Building Regs Part L compliant? If not, you're not allowed to heat it using the same heat source as the rest of your house

Sponsored Links
I'd fire my Architect or designer, who would put a suspended floor in a Sun Room??!!

Concrete floor with nice tiles & wet UFH in the screed. Use a floor temperature sensor.

The other complication even if UFH was ( illegally? ) installed is the heat up time, that can be up to two hours!

The heat is not needed until the evening when it gets cooler outside.

But until the evening you don't know how cool it is going to get.

I would therefore want at least part of the heat to be rapid heat up and radiant heaters would be a good solution!

The other complication even if UFH was ( illegally? ) installed is the heat up time, that can be up to two hours!

The heat is not needed until the evening when it gets cooler outside.

But until the evening you don't know how cool it is going to get.

I would therefore want at least part of the heat to be rapid heat up and radiant heaters would be a good solution!

Depends how well designed & controlled the UFH system is Tony.
Certainly split unit AC/HP units are popular for Sun Rooms & Conservatories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back