Suspended timber flooring in Georgian vicarage

M

MopeyGecko

I am busy planning a renovation project for a large Georgian vicarage and was hoping to get some advice on the flooring. At the moment there is suspended timber flooring throughout. There is also nothing in the way of heating so I am contemplating installing underfloor heating at the same time as laying stone/marble tiles in the hallway and stone tiles in the kitchen.

Would it be best to remove the floor joists and timber boards and replace it with a concrete screed with the heating pipes inset?

Also for the rooms I wish to keep as timber floor what would be the best way to insulate underneath in order to get best use of the UFH? I have read that fixing battens along the length of the joists to support polystyrene boards is a good method? Is there anything I am missing?

Also would anybody in the trade like to estimate at the cost for installing ground floor underfloor heating for a floor area of 160 sqm spread over 5 rooms and 1 large hallway?

Thanks in Advance

- Andy

Sponsored Links
Would it be best to remove the floor joists and timber boards and replace it with a concrete screed with the heating pipes inset?

- Andy

it would be better, yes.

you will need to fill the void with mot type 1, and/or sulphate free hard core. fill and compact in layers.

blind the hard core with sand and compact again.

lay 1200 gauge polythene membrane.

lay insulation.

you will need to then have a minimum of 150mm in which to lay your sub floor and screed. i say this because you have not decided whether or not you will be using an underfloor heating mat.

A Georgian house is more valuable if it is original or has been sympathetically restored.

Will you be applying pink concrete tiles and artex ceilings as well?

Sponsored Links
Yes I realise that which is why most of the floors are staying timber. I also realise that marble floors in hallways and stone in kitchens are popular features of the period. I am also going for UFH as I don't wish to spoil the appearance of the property with b&q radiators. The previous owners have been unsympathetic in the existing kitchen (they have installed office grade suspended ceiling and blue and white chequered 1970's style lino flooring) which I am trying to rectify.

Thanks for the advice though I hate to see old buildings spoiled by laminate flooring and PVCu windows.

The house is also listed and within a conservation area so I am trying to restore a lot of it's original character and at the same time take the opportunity to install some modern amenities.

Mopey -
The house is also listed and within a conservation area so I am trying to restore a lot of it's original character and at the same time take the opportunity to install some modern amenities.

What Grade of listing? Have you spoken to your local Conservation Officer re: your intentions (they are usually very helpful). If the kitchen was butchered in modern times then you shouldn't have any problems with your plans.

Stone tiles (not thick slabs) can be layed on a timber structure which will need to be 'beefed-up', maybe with 18mm ply and can accommodate the correct under-floor heating, etc.

I think it'll be a mistake to expect to make the place snug by only using under-floor heating, in my opinion (and experience!) you should source period style radiators.

Thanks for the advice symptoms, I'm guessing you have some experience with period properties? The house is Grade II listed and has only one period style radiator still intact (not sure when it dates from but its a big cast iron multi-column type). I was hoping that UFH would take care of the living spaces, hallways and kitchens where a lower more ambient temperature could be used. There is also an AGA still in working order so I was hoping to tie this in with the heating system at the same time.

So from your experience I would be better off avoiding UFH in the other rooms and bedrooms or would you simply avoid underfloor heating completely?

I understand that insulation should be first on the list of things to do. The sash windows are still in a respectable condition but will need some tlc and some paint. What are your thoughts on secondary glazing? Are these inconspicuous enough to be sympathetic to the building or best avoided?

With regards to the stone tiles I was rather hoping I would be able to avoid raising the floor level.

Thanks again

- Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back