Suspended woodern floor. What do I have & what does it n

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Longish post but Ive recently bought a 1940's ex-council built semi detatched house which I understand to have a suspended woodern floor rather than a concrete base like my parents house and I am trying to work out what I have currently and what want/need to do to it.

My understanding is that there will be a void under it between the floor/joists and the ground which may vary from very little at all to several feet, under which will typically be bare earth.

The space needs ventilating to prevent damp/rot which is provided by the air bricks which can be seen placed around the foot of the house in the external wall which is then somehow connected, presumably via air bricks in the inner wall, to the underfloor space?

--

The reason I ask this is that at present the air bricks all around the house have been blocked up with silicon blobs in each of the holes. There are around 12-15 or so single-brick sized ones at around 4ft spacing around the bottom, and around four double-sized air bricks just below the gutterline.

Clearly this prevents the passage of air into both the wall cavity and the under floor void. Presumably as a mis-guided attempt to reduce draughts.

The house has relativly recently (but before i bought it) been dot&dab drylined internally and there no vents in the first floor rooms coresponding to the external vents (which i have seen in other house of this age).

The ground floor is tiled in the kitchen and various wood-effect sectional laminate flooring throughout the rest of the rooms, most of which is a large living and dinning room which where knocked through by the previous owner. No real plans to change the flooring.

I have also just had the house cavity wall insluatled using blown polysterine balls with adheasive.

--

I want to re-introduce ventilation to the underfloor void to prevent potential damp issues and coresponding rot in the floor timbers, but I also want to provide an amount of insulation in the floor, and critcally, maintain an amount of air-tightness.

Further more, as I expect the sell the house in around 5years, although I am happy to invest in improvments to a certain degree, spending must be controlled acordingly. Underfloor heating has been considered but largely discounted due to said 5-year-plan. A form of MVHR (whole-house or otherwise) has also been considered, although due to the 5year plan may be limited to a single-room system in the bathroom only.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
The void may be deep enough to crawl around or it may not, only providing access points will determine this. If the void is deep enough you can crawl around it and fix the insulation up from bellow. If the void is not deep enough you will have to lift the existing flooring to do it. If you are not prepared to do that you won't be able to insulate. Add insulation to the space between the joists, either rockwool suspended on chicken wire or similar or rigid insulation supported with nails or battens and any gaps filled with expanding foam (there are hundreds of threads on this in the floors section of the forum). Ensure the insulation is hard up against the existing flooring.

Remove the silicone blocking up the air bricks or replace them.

Simples.

Open up all air bricks again and use thermal underlay under all carpet(thermalay 10mm thick) and find a good thermal board to put under laminate, Not as good as completely insulating between all joists but as your on a budget (five year plan)!!

Reporting back!

On closer inspection although there are four vent bricks at the base of the front wall these are the only four low level vents. They have however now been unblocked.

Will these vent through periscope vents (read about them elsewhere) under the floor or will the vent into the (now filled) cavity? Or directly through into a corresponding vent brick into the void or what?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
i have a feeling the reason why they were blocked up with silicone is.

you have cavity wall insulation.

Reporting back!

On closer inspection although there are four vent bricks at the base of the front wall these are the only four low level vents. They have however now been unblocked.

Will these vent through periscope vents (read about them elsewhere) under the floor or will the vent into the (now filled) cavity? Or directly through into a corresponding vent brick into the void or what?

Daniel

They should vent through in to a corresponding air vent and then in to the void underneath the floor, but this depends if any insulation from cavity has got between the vents to stop airflow, the only way to find this out would be to take one of the vents out and check but you will have to probably buy a new air brick to replace if you damage the one you take out.

i have a feeling the reason why they were blocked up with silicone is you have cavity wall insulation.
Vents where blocked before i moved in, cavity has only just been insulated. However surely even if the insulation now is in the way of the two vents interconnecting the void should be ventilated. I will have a go a 'rodding through' from the outside vent with the hope of finding the inner vent and clearing anything between them. Assuming its worked as expected I understand the adhesive sprayed with the xps ball cavity filling should prevent the filling falling down back into the space. I guess an amount will have made it way into the underfloor void to but probably no more than came out of various other holes around the consumer unit etc.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back