SWA cable above ground - advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am nearing the end of a garage build project. Next on the agenda is electrical power. I need to run SWA cable for about 50m. Obviuosly I need a Part P/qualified spark to complete and certificate the job for Building Regulations but will do the 'labour' side myself.

I cannot sink the cable underground due to large conifers and so need to run the cable above ground so what are the regulations for this? how high above gound is the minimum and what must it be attached to and at what centres?

I know I cannot attach tothe existing fence.

Additionally what guage of SWA is recommended, the garage will, amongst other lesser things, run a 20amp welder, 11amp compressor and various power tools as well as lighting and the mandatory kettle?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Obviuosly I need a Part P/qualified spark to complete and certificate the job for Building Regulations but will do the 'labour' side myself.
That will be fine, but the electrician will have to be completely in charge.

You have to find one before you start work, discuss your ideas, and have him tell you what he is happy for you to do, and how to do it.

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd ensure the electrical work would comply with Part P?

I cannot sink the cable underground due to large conifers and so need to run the cable above ground so what are the regulations for this? how high above gound is the minimum and what must it be attached to and at what centres?
You'll be expecting your electrician to sign a legal document to say that he did all of the work. He is the only one who can make these design an installation decisions.

Additionally what guage of SWA is recommended,
You'll be expecting your electrician to sign a legal document to say that he did all of the work. That includes the design aspect of cable sizing, so he is the only one who can decide what size SWA to use.

Have to agree with BAN here in regards to discussing with your electrician before carrying out any work. If your spark is a member of an approved scheme then he/she will notify BC for you.

Sponsored Links
Additionally what guage of SWA is recommended, the garage will, amongst other lesser things, run a 20amp welder, 11amp compressor and various power tools as well as lighting and the mandatory kettle?

Many thanks

I am with the guys above.

Sizing of cables, over a 50metre run is a critical design activity. Some of the items you have listed have high start-up and running currents. They won't work if the cable/supply is too small.

Is there anything else going in there? Water and/or space heating, engine lift/hoist, lathe, shower, running machine, etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back