Clipped/Burried SWA Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run a SWA 16mm2 cable eiher in the ground at the footings of a garden wall next to a lawn or clipped direct to a north facing wall. The cable will need to come through the cavity wall and follow the edging a footpath and similarly at the side of a tarmac drive. I am happy with 500-600 mm along the lawn at the footings of the garden wall but how deep does the cable need to be buried below the footpath and garage tarmac drive. This has an electric heating installed and I doubt that is 500mm beow the tarmac.

Sponsored Links
Depth is to put the cable out of the way of being damaged. The cable wont be damaged if under footpath or tarmac drive. Mark the cable with warning tape, in case some one brings a JCB on site!

16mm SWA is a pretty meaty beast. Are you building a second house in the garden?

Believe it or not but there is almost no guidance in BS7671 for how deep cable needs to be

I am installing a new minimal solar PV and Tesla Powerwall battery installation and provision for an EV. To recharge the Battery on a night tarrif and the EV at the same time will require a larger supply. If uinstalling a cable you might as well put a big one in as a small one. Its a 25m run. It could be a smaller cable but the installation is still the problem of the moment. My consumer unit is in the middle of teh hose and an extension has been build alongside it so the original outside wall is now an inside wall and I have to get a cable form there to the new outside wall under the extension void and around the front house garden wall to the garage.

Sponsored Links
Believe it or not but there is almost no guidance in BS7671 for how deep cable needs to be
Well, there is guidance which relies on common sense, in that there is a requirement for all cables to be installed such as to minimise the risk of physical/mechanical damage.

Well, there is guidance which relies on common sense, in that there is a requirement for all cables to be installed such as to minimise the risk of physical/mechanical damage.

Exactly but too many people state 600 mm is the required depth

Exactly but too many people state 600 mm is the required depth
Maybe, but such things are a problem with 'those people' (or sometimes things like the OSG, which sometimes seem to 'require' things which are not actually requirements of BS7671), not of the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back