Burried cable question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,i viewed a property yesterday (probate sale has been empty for 18 months) its a ground floor flat with the 2 electric meters are in a meter box on external wall. 1 meter is for the upstairs first floor flat.
The incoming feeds from the 2 meters to the consumer units are burried in a brick wall to a depth of approx 15mm from floor level to ceiling level,is it allowed to bury these cables in this fashion ?

Sorry this sounds very vague but i will try to answer any questions if you need more info.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thank you sparkwright.

its a black plastic cables that run from the external meters to a rather large red fuse on a grey plastic surround. the cable going to the upper flat has been run in a grey plastic pipe same size as plumbing overflow pipe 20mm.
Some of the render over these has fallen off and its all quiet visable.

Its not armoured,just same plastic from meters to consumer=fuse box.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's network wiring, and as the cutout is red, it'll be unfused too. Probably split or straight con cable.

Certainly doesn't sound too clever. I'd be inclined to get the DNO out to have a look.

The earth arrangement is the first one TN-C-S PME.

just to add thi was a conversion done 28 years ago and the incoming cable feeds from the meters appear to have been sunk into the wall at a later date.

All incoming plastic cables are very flexible.

Ta.

Just been back to the property for another viewing.The burried cables in question looks wrong and to correct this the cables would need to be surface mounted in a suitable enclosure ie trunking.
This would narrow an already narrow hall so i have put in a purchase offer far less than the existing advertised price.

Thanks for the info.

james. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back