SWA Core Colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

3 Core 3 phase SWA 2.5mm - BK/BN/GY - already owned for connecting adjacent Garage for lights + 1 off s/o via Garage Unit fed directly from CU on own CCT ........it will be notified...

Can Sleeving be used to Colour the Cores to correct colouring ?...or will the sparks have to purchase new SWA cable ?

Ta in advance :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you wanted different colours that cable would cost you more than 400% more!

Every spark uses the standard 3 phase colours for single phase use.

The grey will be sleeved blue and the black will be sleeved green/yellow.

This 100% complies.

Lectrician said:

This 100% complies.

Personally I feel it's more 'natural' to sleeve the black to blue and the grey to green/yellow

Cheers

Richard

r.bartlett said:
Personally I feel it's more 'natural' to sleeve the black to blue and the grey to green/yellow

Although there is nothing wrong with that, the thinking by certain 'bodies' is to totally dis- associate the black from Neutral even if identified correctly.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys.....thanks very much for your quick replies.......and advice...

Best Regards to you all......

r.bartlett said:
Lectrician said:

This 100% complies.

Cheers

Richard

You can do what you want, I always do as above, and think it should be done this way for two reasons.

1. The NIC want me to.
2. The old RED YELLOW BLUE transposes naturally to BROWN BLOACK GREY.

As we used the blue for neutral in the past (bet you didn't sleeve it black), it makes sence to use the 'new blue' as the neutral - so grey it is.

thats the NICEICS reasoning

the reasoning in support of the other option is its what the inexperianced (who have no knowlage of 3 phase codes but will most likely have encountered the old british single phase code) are likely to assume.

ultimately whichever option you go for it is now more important than ever to properly mark the cores when using such swa for single phase.

I always use the black as neutral as if it's a mixed colour install, then the existing wiring will be black as neutral, red as live.. i then sleeve red with brown, and black with blue..
otherwise you end up with a black sleeved with earth and confusion sets in for poor customers..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back