swa gland

Sponsored Links
You cannot connect SWA cable to a plug!
You would need to gland and terminate the SWA to a weatherproof enclosure, and then use s short length of flex from the box to the RCD plug.

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve with this?

ok a few more questions why cant you connect a swa cable to a rcd plug and the plug im plugging the rcd plug into is in doors so are suggesting i end the swa cable outside in a enclosure and then connect a cable from there through the wall to the rcd plug? thanks in advance

ok a few more questions why cant you connect a swa cable to a rcd plug
Read this and you'll see why:

[wiki]Electrics%3ASWA_gland[/wiki]

and the plug im plugging the rcd plug into is in doors
You plug plugs into sockets, not other plugs.

Is the circuit you're going to connect to already RCD protected? If so you don't need an RCD plug.

Why do you think you need armoured cable running to the socket anyway? And why 2.5mm² when it's fused at 13A?

so are suggesting i end the swa cable outside in a enclosure and then connect a cable from there through the wall to the rcd plug? thanks in advance
My suggestion would be to do it properly, with fixed wiring via a 20A DP switch or a DP switched FCU, not by the awful, awful bodge of flex running through a hole in the wall to a plug.

Sponsored Links
ok a few more questions why cant you connect a swa cable to a rcd plug
Have ever even seen an SWA gland?
They have a 20mm tapped thread on the end, with a matching securing nut. It's not made to go in a plug. Period.

okand the plug im plugging the rcd plug into is in doors so are suggesting i end the swa cable outside in a enclosure and then connect a cable from there through the wall to the rcd plug? thanks in advance
Yes that's what you need to do. If the circuit you are connecting to is already RCD protected you don't need the RCD plug, do you can throw it away.
If you are using SWA for some reason (why?) then you can throw away the connecting cable.
That just leaves you with the socket.
Maybe you shouldn't have bought that kit before doing some proper planning?

the cable wasnt long enough so can u suggest a different cable not swa to replace it thanks

Why didn't replacing it with the same type that it currently has occur to you?

For the 3rd time - why did you think you needed SWA cable?

Is the plug rewirable? (Irrelevant if you don't need it, though)

yes it rewireable i couldnt find it its a bs6500 and every search for outdoor cable brought up swa

ok i came here asing for help not to be have know it alls belittle me, if u read my post i stated when searching for a outdoor cable it only come up with swa so thats why i picked it, i also said it googlee the wire come up with no sites i know to purchase it from

OK, OK. Can help, but need INFORMATION....

This cable that you need for outdoor use. Will it be buried in the ground, secured overhead on a catenary wire, clipped to a wall, fence, etc?
Please explain the installation method and then we can perhaps assist with what you may need.

ok i came here asing for help not to be have know it alls belittle me, if u read my post i stated when searching for a outdoor cable it only come up with swa so thats why i picked it, i also said it googlee the wire come up with no sites i know to purchase it from
Nobody is belittling you. It's just that some of us, (me, at least) are utterly bemused by what you say.

screenshot_1244.jpg

You'll also find that people here prefer proper English, not "u" instead of "you", "i" instead of "I", etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back