swa into. house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
  • Im running power to a workshop and aiming on running the swa myself then getting it connected both ends by a pro when they fit the consumer and rcd.
    Ive been told I need 10mm swa , how would it be best to bring it in through the wa_ll ? I'm thinking it will not bend and look to good going through the brick . It will have to come in through the garage then through the side of the house to the old fusebox (has mcbs)
    Can I put an adaptable box on the outside of the garage and run 10mm twin and earth to that from supply to adaptable box will I need to run a separate 10mm earth to the box to earth the swa , I can't run the swa right to the supply due to location , so it will have to terminate in a box either inside or outside . I could then bring the t and e in to house with the earth where the pro can wire up .
    Thanks on advance for any advise

Sponsored Links
I'm doing something similar at the moment. My builder's solution is to bring it up inside the garage (although mine will be in ducting). Starting from 450mm down you get a nice gentle curve.

The technical details involve 'drilling a great big hole in the garage floor'.

The dirty big hole is what I'm tryin to avoid in the hallway , the other half doesn't want it looking like a factory for some reason :D

I think I was suggesting the hole is in the garage so that the change to T&E is in the dry, and the SWA bend radius not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Inside would be ideal but I can't bring up through the floor at either end , would make a much better job

I think I was suggesting the hole is in the garage so that the change to T&E is in the dry, and the SWA bend radius not a problem.
It's a bit unclear but I think the OP is asking about the house end (and house wall). It also sounds from the description that we may be talking of three buildings - house, garage (maybe attached to house?) and workshop. 5watt, can you describe the situation in a bit more detail?

Kind Regards, John.

John, you're probably right that I'm misunderstanding the situation. I am probably picturing the arrangement I have here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back