SWA with 7 Cores 1mm blue, 4 cores 2.5 g/y and 1 core brown 10mm ???

This is a good example for those who think the new legislation requires everything to be compliant with the 18th edition.

It obviously doesn't as many blocks of flats would have to have the sub-mains replaced with SWA or equivalent - clearly not the case.

Well, that is all the rented flats; not the owner-occupied ones of course.

Sponsored Links
If the split concentric is within a permitted zone without RCD protection, it would warrant a C3 and would be "Satisfactory" on an EICR. Just as storage heater circuits, lighting circuits etc would be if they didn't have RCD protection.

I still think it’s a ****e install stuffing 7 1mm wires into the neutral of the main switch and 4 x 2.5 mm into the main earth terminal- it took me some time and care to get the Earth ones back in properly - some may not be as diligent in future which is a biggy in terms of the Earthing. And obviously lead to poor and/or lack of glanding at the supply end. Just for shots and giggles naming and shaming of the installers attached

Attachments

• 5BB9C3FD-4417-4DBC-AFC3-A8EE11EB5D02.jpeg
    5BB9C3FD-4417-4DBC-AFC3-A8EE11EB5D02.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
I still think it’s a ****e install stuffing 7 1mm wires into the neutral of the main switch and 4 x 2.5 mm into the main earth terminal- it took me some time and care to get the Earth ones back in properly - some may not be as diligent in future which is a biggy in terms of the Earthing. And obviously lead to poor and/or lack of glanding at the supply end. Just for shots and giggles naming and shaming of the installers attached
My understanding is that 'split con' and 'straight con' cables are used extensively by DNOs, so I don't think one ca really right off the use of such cables as being some sort of 'poor/bad practice'.

Kind Regards, John

My understanding is that 'split con' and 'straight con' cables are used extensively by DNOs, so I don't think one ca really right off the use of such cables as being some sort of 'poor/bad practice'.

Kind Regards, John
I've not installed straight con so can't comment but split con is lovely stuff to install, muuch easier than the equivalent T&E and IMO too much SWA is used these days in situations where it really isn't required. Yes I'm guilty of it too.

Kind Regards, John
I wouldnt say the DNO installation methods are anything to be benchmarked by - they are a law unto themselves on domestic metering And service heads With non compliance to bs7671, poor workmanship etc !

I wouldnt say the DNO installation methods are anything to be benchmarked by - they are a law unto themselves on domestic metering And service heads With non compliance to bs7671, poor workmanship etc !
I can't disagree with any of that (although, in most cases, their workmanship seems pretty good {probably in a higher proportion of cases than with 'electricians'}) but my point was that the use of straight/split con is very widespread and hence I'm not sure that it is appropriate to imply that there is something wrong with the use of such cable, per se.

Kind Regards, John

Not used it myself, but I can see the benefits. TBH I always think T&E, especially in large sizes, "looks wrong" - unless extra care is taken, it always end up twisted which makes it look cack. All that installation needed was the right heat-shrink udders and it would have been OK.
PS - you could always put the earths in two separate terminals.
PPS, are you sure the neutrals are 1mm² ? Around 1.4mm² would make 7 of them equal to 10mm² same as the line core.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back