Swamp crisis!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya . So I have an enclosure in back garden where 5 hens live. They have blackened the ground, which over the winter became very muddy . I was waiting for better weather for the ground to dry out to lay a sand stone mix on top of the soil. But it's not drying out, in fact it's now turning into a swamp! With the wet weather and increased temperature my hennies are wading around in green mud! What to do! I don't want to wait in the hope that it will dry, because I don't think it will. I was going to lay paving slabs on the really bad parts, then do the stone and sand mix then more slabs where needed.but I'm not convinced. Please help!

Sponsored Links
If it's going to remain a chook enclosure, then scrape off the muck and use it elsewhere in the garden.
Then put some form of roof on it to keep out the worst of the weather.

We've kept chooks for some time now, and have a rotation system.
Spring time their crapped on soil goes on the veggie patch, and come autumn the detrius of the summer growth (plus leaves) goes back into their 'area'.
If you keep most of the rain out, come the spring a new batch of fertiliser to scrape out!

Yes, “rotation system”. Move them somewhere dry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back