Swap two wire thermostat for two wire programable version

Sponsored Links
After 4½ years here you've still not realised how useless those "electrical screwdrivers" are?

After 4½ years here you've still not realised how useless those "electrical screwdrivers" are?
I feel the neon screwdriver has its place. I use one as a terminal driver, but not as a tester, every so often one comes to remove a wire normally a neutral and it will light up. And I feel that warning that there may be a borrowed neutral on its own is a good reason to use a neon screwdriver.

Yes today with clamp on meters able to measure milliamps it is not as important as in the past we can check for a borrowed neutral before we remove a wire. But in practice we don't expect to find the borrowed neutral so we do get a little lazy fair in testing for them. So I will continue using a neon screwdriver as a terminal driver just in case I make a mistake.

Sponsored Links
But in practice we don't expect to find the borrowed neutral so we do get a little lazy fair in testing for them.
I would think a borrowed neutral is one of the least unexpected things we find.
Oh not again, I know we talked about the double negative in the English language before, this is a really good example. Would it not be easier to simply say "I would think a borrowed neutral is one of the expected things we find." simply remove the least and the un which cancel each other out.

Not really. It isn't a double negative. It's what might be called a negative-superlative (is there a correct term?).

You would need 'most expected' to convey what I meant.
"I would think a borrowed neutral is one of the most expected things we find." which it isn't.

You were talking about things you don't expect to find therefore unexpected and least unexpected.

Not really. It isn't a double negative. It's what might be called a negative-superlative (is there a correct term?).

You would need 'most expected' to convey what I meant.
"I would think a borrowed neutral is one of the most expected things we find." which it isn't.

You were talking about things you don't expect to find therefore unexpected and least unexpected.
whssign.gif

"in practice we don't expect to find the borrowed neutral" is not a double negative.

No real need to debate the English, the fact is that using a neon screwdriver as a terminal driver can alert one to errors. Telling people not to use one as a screwdriver is flawed, telling people it is not a piece test equipment is however correct, I would never use one as a tester, but I do like having one as a second string to my bow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back