swap VRT360f/VRT392f for another make

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus boiler, UniSTOR storage cylinder and VR65.

We originally had the VRT 360f room thermostat/controller, we managed with this (just) but found it so hard to use, especially when it's not something you use regularly. Trying to explain to the other half over the phone how to put the heating on for an hour....

The boiler/UniSTOR is in the garage and the thermostat is in our hall-way (we have an open fire in the lounge). Because we have a large 1970's house with solid-walls, we were never 100% sure about the wireless unit, but our installer was persuasive. In hindsight the actual run for the cabling would be almost the same as that taken for the pipework back to the garage.

Our biggest problem was the thermostat and the boiler would lose RF communication (we've never been able to work out if this was environmentally triggered or not). Without a link to the thermostat feedback the boiler turned the central heating on, if you were out when this happened, you'd return to a very toasty house. 24Degrees inside when it's 24Degrees outside isn't a great fail-safe mode.

Vaillant replaced the VRT360f with VRT 392f. I'd say the feeback loop on their heating control's department might be broken too. If only for the icons for hot-water and central heating I'd be happier with the VRT360f. Needless to say we've already had at least one occasion when the boiler has lost connection with the thermostat.

My intention now is to have the VRT392f replaced with (preferably) another manufacturer's unit or a wired VRT360 (from eBay).

When we were discussing the boiler with our fitter (who IIRC only installed Vaillant) I was under the impression that because of the combination we have:

EcoTEC Plus/UniSTOR/VR-65

we must use a Vaillant control-unit too. Can anyone give any advise about this.

I suspect that if we don't we may not get the benefit of some features but so long as we can have the heating and hot-water on a timer and have a simple manual over-ride, I'd be happy.

I've seen many mentions in many forums of gas installers swapping out the VRT controllers due to the complicated interface. I just don't know that my set-up would allow this option.

Any help greatly appreciated (the cable-run the thermostat isn't a big issue BTW).

Sponsored Links
If you wanted another manufacturers unit then you would have to get rid of the VR65 and get it rewired to take standard controls.

The set up you have now is better suited to the boiler as the controls can literally 'talk' to the boiler rather than giving a simple on or off signal. The boiler flow temperature is dynamically adjusted depending on the temperature and it can run hotter when heating the cylinder and then return to a lower flow temperature for heating. It would be a shame to get rid of them. However if you really are finding it difficult to use then perhaps the best option would be to replace them for standard controls.

I don't quite follow you on the VRT392f? Most people find those easier to use than the VRT360f units. I admit, most people do not refer to their heating as 'hc1' but you can change the name to something more meaningful.

It's down to you at the end of the day; you can replace the VRT392f for the wired VRT392 or the older VRT360 or remove the VR65 and other Vaillant controls and get it rewired as a standard S or Y plan. The Vaillant controllers are not the simplest ones available but technically they are better suited to the boiler but they don't suit all people!

There is a newer controller called the VRT350 available but I think you need a VR66 instead of the VR65.

http://www.vaillant.co.uk/trade/pro...g-controls-t/produkt_vaillant/ht-vrt-350.html

Dave

Thanks for taken the time to enlighten me, it's appreciated.

I now understand a little more and acknowledge that keeping the VR65 in there is sensible.

The main points I didn't like about the VRT392f were:

• it powers off the display completely (where as I think the VRT360f just turned off the back-light)
    it doesn't show the icons for hot-water and central heating like the VRT360f
    having learnt the VRT360f over 2 years, the differences (and missing features) were more apparent
    when the connection goes, it's not obvious because the display is powered off

In fact the only bit I liked was the RF test function, which I didn't mention in my original post but IIRC
I was getting 3 or 4 out of 10 with the unit 8M from the boiler with 2 block-work walls in between.

The VRT350 looks like they've made the unit a little more home-owner friendly - which it seriously needed.

VRT360 Party description:"When you activate the party function the heating phase is continued beyond the next low- ering phase. This also applies to the hot water and circulation pump programmes. Press the special function button three times. The party symbol appears in the display and the function is activated after ten seconds. The function is deactivated automatically on reaching the next heating phase. If you want to deactivate the function early, just press the F button. This function can only be activated in automatic mode"

VRT350 Party description: "If you want to switch on the heating circuit and hot wa- ter generation temporarily, e.g. during a party, activate the advanced function «Party»."

In fact I'd always thought the Party function was to turn off the heating because the number of people in the house would generate enough heat!

Because of the RF issues I've clearly got I'm probably going to get a VRT360; the VR66 seems to be only supported on 2012 or later boilers:

http://www.directheatingsupplies.co...wo-Zone-Wiring-Control-Centre-0020135785.aspx
"The Vaillant VR 66 is only compatible with the new range of ecoTEC boilers produced from March 2012 onwards, if in any doubt, please consult your boiler manual or contact us for further details.
You WILL require the Vaillant VR 66 if you are going to link the VRT392F, VRC470, VRC470F or timeSWITCH 160 Digital to your System or Regular/Open Vent Boiler."

Although I'm 'happily' using a VRT392F with the VR65; Vaillant themselves replaced the VRT360f with the VRT392f so, maybe a chat to Vaillant technical department is required here as the VRT350 looks quite bare-able but I'll not be going wireless again.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
See below about using the VRT350 with ecotec plus boiler

To tech support:-
I have an Ecotec plus 428 boiler that was installed around 2 years ago.
It is currently running using Honeywell controls (AQ6000).
As the AQ6000 is obsolete and starting to play up I would like to change to Vaillant controls. I have decided that I do not want weather compensation any more so your catalogue seems to suggest the VRT350.
It also says I need the VR66 wiring centre with seems to be unavailable!
Can you tell me if the VR65 will work with my boiler and the VRT350?
If not what can I use to achieve the same result as the VRT350/VR66 on my system?

The reply:-
Thank you for your email.

The VR 66 has not been released yet but the VR 65 or VR 61 (depending on zones) can be used, we recommend you speak to your installer, who can contact our technical advice line on 0844 69 33133 if necessary.

I wrote again and they confirmed tha ALL current programmers are compatable with the ecotec plus 428 and the VRT350 will work with the VR65 or VR61/2.
Hope it helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back