swapping a bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when swapping a bath waste and using silicone. How long should you leave before testing, as cant really leave 24hours to fully set as you'd want to test the waste before leaving.

Sponsored Links
No time at all really. By the time you've attached the rest of the trap/pipework etc then it should be watertight enough to accept a test. Just use good silicone (DowC)

I then mention not to use it for an hourish to allow it to go off as a belt n braces.

Thanks and with regards to the top washer that sits on the face of the bath an the waste. Do people tend to not use this and use silicone instead?

Correct. just throw the top washer away and use a good amount of silicon around the hole (some will swear by plumbers mait but silicon is my personal preference). Push the waste through and tighten. The silicon will squidge out and should be removed with kitchen roll or a cloth before setting. I have always used this method and never had one leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks what is the reasoning for not using the supplied top washer?

I use both to add it as a kinda sandwich reinforcement, though silicone on it's own is probably easily good enough to take up the gap. Some white spirit makes removing the excess silicone easy.

Using silicone on the top side of a basin or bath grating will result in a black discolouration around it in the future. This can't be cleaned off & you'll have the wife to answer to!! Use Plumbers Mait on the top side & silicone underneath.

You know something I never put silicone on rubber seals, in does absolutely nothing.
Just use the rubbers supplied.
If you find silicone on a rubber seal...beware.....Bertie Bodgits been :)!!

servotech,

Using silicone on the top side of a basin or bath grating will result in a black discolouration around it in the future. This can't be cleaned off & you'll have the wife to answer to!! Use Plumbers Mait on the top side & silicone underneath.
I have honestly never had that happen and fitted around 50 of them. :)

As long as you use white spirit and clean the silicone off fully, rub with some blue roll tightly right around the waste's edge then that should avoid anything going black.

Only use a little silicone on the inside of the face of the waste either side of the washer, don't plaster it on. IMO even using it with the washer is a belt and braces approach against modern day bad castings and mouldings that are never the best at fitting and sealing together, oh and I've never owned a horse :)

Thanks I use to put silicone on the base rubber too. But have stopped this as seemed to think it could make the rubber slide and not bite up correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back