sweating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm after abit of advice if I may, the problem is i seem to have a hot and cold water feed running from my kitchen up to the bathroom above, these have been chased into the wall by the previous owner as I didn't know they we're there until I noticed what resembled a damp line on the wall! I moniterd it to make sure there wasn't a leak and by magic the line disappeared now this has been happening like this for a couple of weeks! what I would like to know is whether I should dig out the wall and make sure if everything is ok with the pipe work or leave alone? the only annoying thing is the pipes are sweating and why?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
dunno might be condensation forming on the cold pipe if it was leaking wouldnt it be permanantly damp

The plaster or mortar is porous and the water vapour in the air can penetrate it to the pipe. The cold weather recently probably means the mains water is colder when it comes out of the buried cold water main, so the water vapour condenses on the pipe. You know the rest.

Surface mounted has much to recommend it, you can insulate it properly for one thing.

thanks for both replies.

should I dig out what ever is over the pipes and insulate them? having had another look the pipes run surface mounted behind the kitchen units and are then buried in the wall just before coming above the worktop!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back