Switch inward opening uPVC Bi-Fold to open outwards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have quite a large uPVC Bi-Fold door (2.4m x 1.9m) which was supposed to open outwards. The builder screwed up and ordered it inward opening.

At the time they were more expensive then now. So rather then jeopardise the rest of the job (he may well have tried to find a way to make up his loss) I came to an arrangement with him.

Now we're getting a larger dinging table it's causing a problem :( The cost of a new one will be ~£2k, so i'm wondering if it would be possible to reverse the entire frame.

This will mean the beading will be on the outside. And also the fittings will have to be switched around with the holes on the other side covered in some way. But wondering if its worth getting someone to take a look. Or if its a waste of everyones time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need to redo the drainage as well

You will need to redo the drainage as well

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean the drainage holes in the doors? I envisaged rotating the frame 180 degrees so inside is outside. In which case the doors would be the same side up.

drainage will still be at the bottom but will be facing inwards so will probably need to seal up the existing holes and redrill new in sashes and bottom of frame

Sponsored Links
drainage will still be at the bottom but will be facing inwards so will probably need to seal up the existing holes and redrill new in sashes and bottom of frame

Ahh, I understand now. Thanks

Will the locking bolts end up outside?

I think its unlikely the cill will work.

Give the manufacturer a call, they will be able to advise how universal the bifolds are between open in and open out......

Will the locking bolts end up outside?

I think its unlikely the cill will work.

Give the manufacturer a call, they will be able to advise how universal the bifolds are between open in and open out......

Yes the existing handles would end up outside. Would have to fit new ones on the inside, aswell as the bifold hindes/etc.

It was a whole house refurb and the windows were included in the builders contract. It's been quite a while and he's no longer operating. Don't have the manufacturers details :( I guess my other option is to lookout for a cancelled order/clearance that will fit. But will likely still be expensive and not match the french doors/windows in the same room.

To find manufacturers details have you opened all the doors and checked all edges for manufacturer label or stamp (mine is on hinges).
Sfk

To find manufacturers details have you opened all the doors and checked all edges for manufacturer label or stamp (mine is on hinges).
Sfk

I did have a look, but the bi-fold doesn't have any stamps on the uPVC profile that I can see. The hinges and metal mechanism inset into the doors is labelled SI.

The French doors and windows are all stamped Rehau along the uPVC profiles.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Get new doors made and sell the old ones to recoup some losses. Also get a proper window fitter to do the install/survey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back