Switch live at switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

I'm sure this had been answered before but cannot find it.

I'm fitting a new light switch, but both wires are red. I cannot remember which was the live and which was switch live (and no indication which is which) . Is there a way of testing with a multimeter?

Cheers in advance

Martin

Sponsored Links
Hiya

I'm sure this had been answered before but cannot find it.

I'm fitting a new light switch, but both wires are red. I cannot remember which was the live and which was switch live (and no indication which is which) . Is there a way of testing with a multimeter?

Cheers in advance

Martin
Measure the voltage between earth and each red with the light switched off. If there is no earth at the switch use a long wire to find earth (or neutral) from somewhere else. Simplest way should be an extension lead.

Unless you are making some changes You shouldn't need to know which is which anyway.

Sponsored Links
You can also do a safer continuity check , if its on a mcb not an Rcbo, between each cable to earth with the power OFF and ALL other light switches off, the live should be open circuit and the switch live closed circuit, you can possibly double check further by removing the relevant bulbs, in the room and the switch live will then also be open circuit.
As said above if its 1 way 1 gang its not important , they may have been connected anyway round previously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back