Live versus Switched Live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just wired replaced a single light switch with a dimmer switch. There was no indication on the red wires nor the old switch which was 'live' and which was 'switched live'.

It works, but I'm concerned that I may have caused a potential danger by getting 'live' and 'switched live' wrong. I've got a strong suspicion that it doesn't matter for my set-up (i.e. using 'common' and 'L1'). Is this correct?

Do I need to identify which is which, or is the new installation's wiring OK?

Many thanks in advance,
Ian

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine.
Ideally a permanent live should enter the common terminal but in your case with a simple one way arrangement it won't matter.

For a 1-way switch, it doesn't really matter which terminal the permanent live is connected to. Standard practice is to wire permanent live to C and switched live to L1 but it will work, and be completely safe wired the other way around.

Ideally the switched live should be sleeved with a little piece of brown sleeving but explaining how to identify which conductor is the switched live will create more chances of a dangerous situation occuring than if you just leave it alone.

Davy

No sleeving necessary as both wires are red (see OP).

Putting brown sleeve on would cause you to then put a warning sign on the consumer unit to state there are mixed colours in the installation. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thank you to everyone who responded - that was really helpful. I'm reassured. Cheers, Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back