Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could really do with some help please. Just registered today and have been looking what an excellent job you guys do.

My problem is this 2 gang switch:

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/switch2.JPG

The 2-way switch powers 2 lights in the hallway and works fine. The one way switch is supposed to wire an outside light. At the moment there is no outside light, just a 3 core and earth wire hanging outside – I have tried to wire a light in but it doesn’t work. I believe the problem lies within the switch box.

I have looked in the “Sticky For Reference” section at the 2 gang wiring process but I am still a little bit confused.

Could do with knowing where the loose wires need to be fixed and where to wire the wries outside into the light fitting.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
I've made these assumptions about your drawing so check them carefully:

"A" is going to the other two way switch.
"B" is power in (permanent live and neutral).
"C" and "D" are the two hall lights.
"E" is the other end of that wire dangling outside.

If all of the above is correct, the C terminal on the unused switch has been unnecessarily borrowed for the hallway lights. Start by moving these over to lower 3 and removing the link. Check that your hall lights still work.

Next, wire up your outside light in the usual way. Now put the link between lower 2 and lower C. Put the new live into upper 2 or 3 (it doesn't matter which), the neutral into the choc block and the earth --- yes indeed, where do you put the earth?

You show no other earths on your drawing. If you haven't got any GO NO FURTHER until you get that sorted. If you have a full set of earths in a terminal in the back box you put the new one in there.

This should all work. If the new switch works 'upside down', move the outside light's live wire from 2 to 3 or vice versa.

Cheers Felix.

Left out the earths for clarity dont pannic.

I will give what you have said an attempt tonight. thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If the assumtions about cables A,B,CD are correect, yes, but make sure of that before you connect.
And mark them with tippex or indellible pen, and keep good notes, so if it dousn;t work, you can step back to the last known good condition.

Mapj1 beat me to it! Remember to put a light on that outside wire first ---

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back