Switched Live pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Quick question
I have a ceiling rose which has 3 cables each made up of different coloured wires
1 red black yell
2 blue brown yell
3 brown brown yell

I can identify the switched live is the brown / brown wire....
But on every circuit image it shows a blue (sleeved) and brown.

My question is this I currently cannot identify which of the brown wires should sit where blue (sleeved) would be ... Would the choice make a difference?
Could I end up live circuit in the off position? Could it be dangerous or does it not matter as both live?
If dangerous which I expect how may I identify between the 2

Many thanks

Hope that makes sense

Sponsored Links
As you have noted the double brown is the switch wire. This is used by some electricians instead of brown/ blue in which case the blue would be sleeved, you can put either in the terminal.

Those "yell" wires. Are they the earth conductors (really yellow&green sleeve?)

If so, how come the brown/brown cable does not have one?

You see, I can understand a cable that has blue, brown and an earth. Also i junderstand a black, red and earth cable. But there is no standard cable with the colours you have stated.

To avoid any further doubt

Sponsored Links
As you have noted the double brown is the switch wire. This is used by some electricians instead of brown/ blue in which case the blue would be sleeved, you can put either in the terminal.

Thank you very much for your swift response, and I appreciate the explanation, you have also put my mind at ease. Have a great day 😀

So you have two lights in a room that should be controlled off the same switch?

Look at the colour if the wires on the 2nd light. You say red black.
so move the red away from the browns and pair with the single brown

So you have two lights in a room that should be controlled off the same switch?

Look at the colour if the wires on the 2nd light. You say red black.
so move the red away from the browns and pair with the single brown

Thank you all working job done 😃

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back