switched live - convention

S

sanj.varah

hi,

Is there convention for signifying a switched live connection in a ceiling rose/light switch.

I took a ceiling rose off in my house today and the feed going to the light switch was brown, the switched live coming back was blue with brown sleeve on it.

However in another room in my house I've got a ceiling rose with blue feeding my light switch and a brown wire with brown sleeve on it to signify switched live.

Just wondering which way is correct?

thanks

sanj

Sponsored Links
I would personally say:

Brown = permanant live

Blue (with brown sleeve) = switched live.

But it doesn't really matter providing it is the same at both ends.

Convention is the brown to supply the switch, and the blue to return a switched live, however, either way is fine.

99% of the time it will be the brown ;)

brown/brown T+E would be far better, but is almost double the price compared to brown/blue...

okay, thanks guys. think i'll change the rogue one to brown signifying permanent live.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
brown/brown T+E would be far better, but is almost double the price compared to brown/blue...
Plus sometimes it is helpfull to know at the lightswitch which is permanent live and which is switched live. For the same reason I advise using sleeving as a marker ring rather than completely covering the conductor.

True, although you never truly know without testing (as in the blue being live as above)......

Brown/Bwon does have a core ident also - one core is brown 'through and through', the other is brown on the outside, but white on the inner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back