Sleeving switched live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone,

Adding another light fitting. Switched live in the existing ceiling rose is not marked. Existing cable is red/black.

Should I sleeve the sw live in red or brown ?

New cables are, of course, brown/blue, and CU will be labelled to show mixed installation

Sponsored Links
Convention was red sleeve on old colours, but either red or brown is better than no marking.

I'm with you Chri5, I figured that "anything is better than nothing".

Haven't got any red sleeving, so I was going to use brown - unless anyone can see a compelling reason not to !

If you sleeve the black conductor brown, also sleeve the red one brown.

Sponsored Links
How about black sleeving? Haven't seen that available anywhere!

If you're desperate for a snippet of red sleeving, e-mail me your address & I'll post a bit out tonight.

Common sense died a long time ago :cry:
There's a couple of ways which comply with the regs, acquire red sleeve and sleeve the black conductor with it or you could rob a bit of red outer sheath some 4 or 6mm if you have any. You can sleeve it brown however if you do this you then have a mix of old and new colours, so sleeve the red with brown sleeving also.

Morning everyone,

Spark123's solution works well - got some red off a 6mm wire I found attached to an old switch.

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back