Switched Live sleeving when looping at switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can have it both ways because it's not legal text, e.g. legislation. The clear intent of these two tables is beyond any reasonable question whatsoever. .... it's extremely silly to pretend that it means anything other than what it very obviously means
Given the many pages of debate here, over a period of years, I'm not sure that everyone would agree - but perhaps you could share with us your view of the 'clear intent' which is 'beyond any question whatsoever'.
Certainly comment upon the poor wording to JPEL/64 when the next draft is out (assuming it hasn't been corrected for that).
I would suggest that anyone who does that doesn't hold their breath. I've commented on the poor wording in question in relation to the last three DPCs, and nothing appears to have changed as a result.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
but it's extremely silly to pretend that it means anything other than what it very obviously says.
It would.

However, I'm not sure which of the two Tables you're referring to, but Table 51 says nothing ('very obvious' or not) about dual-purpose circuits ('power'+'control'), whilst Table 52.3 says nothing ('very obvious' or not) which tells us whether a circuit supplying both lights and BS1363 sockets is a 'lighting' or a 'power' one (or, given the discussion here, a "lighting+power+control circuit" :) ) - and neither do the notes to either of those Tables, nor anything else I can find in BS7671, clarify exactly what they mean by a 'control circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I just think the parts of Table 52.3 are so contradictory that it makes a nonsense of the contradicting parts.

However, NOTE 1 states "IT, signalling and control circuits intended for electronic equipment...".

In BS7671 there is no definition of Control Circuit but the index has for Control Circuit states "see Voltage Band 1 definition".

Make of that what you will.

As for the different identification colours in Table 51 for "Control Circuits, ELV and other applications", do people think that the colours should be used in order. That is, if only one Live conductor then Brown would be used; for more than one then in the order stated. It would seem strange just to pick a Pink identifier for a single Live conductor.
In a central heating system where the boiler and programmer are in the kitchen and valve and tank thermostat are in the airing cupboard, one might use (as I have) a 7-core cable with numbered black conductors. Obviously the numbers are adequate but the different colours might be used for easier identification.
I would class that as a 230V control circuit, but it might not be what is meant.

MOD: Please carry on this discussion in a new thread if you care. The original purpose of this has I feel been served.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back