Switched Live sleeving when looping at switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the load was replaced by a CONTRACTOR and it powered the load then I could agree.

Contractor or contactor :(

0x99.jpg

Who would have responsibilty for the area where the green ( electrical power ) and blue ( control ) areas overlap.

And there is the added complexity of safety systems that must operate independently from the controls in the cabinet.

Sponsored Links
I think you're trying to over analyse John.
On the contrary, and with due respect to both of you, I would say that it is Simon and yourself who are doing that. What I have been doing is presenting what I believe to be a very simple and sensible (I hesitate to say 'fairly obvious'!) interpretation of what is intended by Table 51 of BS7671.

I really do not believe that the intention of that Table was to suggest that different parts of the electrical connection between the line of the supply and a load could/should be indentified by different colours just because there was a switch in that path.

Put very simply, my interpretation/view is that any conductor(s) which carries the full load current (fuyll 'end-load' current) is/are part of the "power circuit" (not a "control circuit"), even if items within the current path can switch the current on/off (or even change its magnitude). On the other hand, anything (components and conductors) which 'controls' the load current (on/off or variable), without carrying the full load current, is part of a "control circuit".
As said earlier strictly speaking the immersion circuit a power circuit which contains a control device or two, now if if the clock and thermostat operated a contactor (a fairly regular format in a controls environment) there would be no difficulty in distinguishing between control and power, especially if they have their own feed and OCD ...
... and I said exactly the same, very early on in this discussion- namely that my view is that everything determining whether or not current flows through the coil of a relay/contactor is a "control circuit", and anything carrying the full load current (switched by the contacts of the relay/contactor) is the "power circuit".
.... but in the absense of the contactor the lines are very blurred. In domestics I would tend to not describe this as a control circuit even though it still contains 2 (or 3 if you count the isolater) control devices.
Well, you know my views about that - as expressed recently and above. If one uses something like my 'definition' in red above, there is no 'blurring'.
In your circuit above I'd describe all of the 'live' wiring as the control and as there's naff all left I'd include the load too.
To again repeat myself, I really don't think that many people (or BS7671) would describe a lighting circuit (including the lamp!) or an immersion circuit (including the immersion) as a "control circuit" - and nor could I see any point in such a description.
As I said the lines are very blurred. If you go on a holiday, how much of it would you call the holiday? ....
Blurring only arises in the absence of adequate definitions. If one adopts (I would say 'sensible') definitions like my red above, it would be rare (if ever) for the situation not to be a 'black and white' one.

Kind Regards, John

If the load was replaced by a CONTRACTOR and it powered the load then I could agree.
As you will realise from what I believe and have just written. I would say that everything 'controlling' the current in the coil of a relay/contactor was a "control circuit" (quite possibly using a different voltage from the "power circuit", and that everything in the circuit switched by the contacts of the relay/contactor ('controlling' current flow to the end-load" is a "power" circuit.
... But even then it would still come under the jurisdiction of the controls engineer. Everything within the control panel is quite deliberately kept locked away from untrained personel including 'qualified electricians' for 2main reasons, 1 so they don't get hurt (extremely common) and 2 so they don't break it (even more common). ....
Maybe this is really what we are really talking about - logistical/'bureacratic' demarcations (which, as you imply, may be well-intentioned), rather than any sensible electrically-based distinctions?

In any event, as you have agreed, "control panels" are not, at least traditionally, a feature of domestic electrical installations. It may make well make sense to "lock away from untrained personnel" complex control systems (per my understanding of the term), but it would clearly make no sense to similarly "lock away" the light switches and immersion time switches in a domestic installation :)

Kind Regards, John

All those circuits are power circuits. They carry power. ... The power in those circuits is CONTROLLED by the settings of the various switches. If the switch between 2 and 6 was a set of contacts on a relay then circuits A B and C would be control circuits. Simple rule, Any part of the system that is or by switching can be connected to the load is a power circuit,
As you will realise from what I've recently written, I totally agree (see my 'red definitions' above').

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If one adopts (I would say 'sensible') definitions like my red above, it would be rare (if ever) for the situation not to be a 'black and white' one.
OK then, as drawn above, 1-4 are all power conductors by your definition - agreed ?
What if the boiler gets replaced, and the new one is a 3 wire one where the demand (conductor 4) is only a signal and the boiler takes it's power from the permanent live ?
Surely now you are adamant that all four of 1-4 are now control wires because they don't carry the load current of the boiler. But you are equally adamant that 1-3 are power because they carry the pump current.
Yup, totally black and white :whistle:

EDIT: actually parts of 2&3 would now be control only while other parts are both control and power.

OK then, as drawn above, 1-4 are all power conductors by your definition - agreed ?
I assume that you're talking about your drawing (since mine had 1-3 and 1-8) - in which case, yes, I agree.
What if the boiler gets replaced, and the new one is a 3 wire one where the demand (conductor 4) is only a signal and the boiler takes it's power from the permanent live ? .... Surely now you are adamant that all four of 1-4 are now control wires because they don't carry the load current of the boiler.
Yep, that's what 'my' convention would say (in that simple situation). It perhaps becomes clearer if one thinks of a situation in which all your 1-4 (timeswitch and 3 stats), hence also the signal line to the boiler, were operating at ELV. In that situation I doubt that anyone would deny that all of that was a 'control ciciruit', separate from the LV "power circuit" connected to the boiler (which would take the full load current when the boiler was 'on').
But you are equally adamant that 1-3 are power because they carry the pump current. Yup, totally black and white :whistle:
As I wrote ....
....The example you give is slightly complicated by the fact that there are two loads but if one forgets the pump then I would say that what you call 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all parts of one circuit (not four circuits) - which is simply a load supplied with power via four 'switching devices'.
... so, yes, you have managed to come up with an area which is 'grey', rather than black and white, since, with the pump per your drawings, it is a 'dual-purpose circuit. That is, of course, only possible because the control circuitry is LV, so one can ('conveniently') use what is a control circuit for the boiler as a power circuit for a pump. If, as above, the control circuitry was ELV, one would have to incorporate relays/contactors to operate the pump (which is the situation I have in my house) - in which case the situation (per my definitions) becomes 'black and white' again.

As for Table 51 of BS7671, I leave it to you to form a view as to what colours are permitted in a dual-purpose (power+signal/control) circuit, since no such animal exists in the Table. It's similar to the situation (with a different BS7671 Table!) when one has a 6A or 10A 'dual purpose' circuit supplying a number of lights and also (compliantly, despite some views expressed here!) one or more BS1363 sockets. Does such a dual-purpose circuit qualify as a 'lighting' or a 'power' one - and hence is the minimum cable CSA 1mm² or 1.5mm²? Your guess is as good as mine (in both situations).

Kind Regards, John

I would draw your attention to the notes below Table 51:

"(1) Power circuits include lighting circuits."

RIP Table 52.3.

MOD: Thread gone off at quite a tangent don't you think.

It is also worth glancing back at section 2.
Taken literally, then (looking back at my diagram) everything after the isolator (actually a FCU) is one "circuit" (collection of stuff protected by one OCD). So therefore, replacing the boiler as discussed makes things interesting since the whole circuit must be a control circuit, and the whole circuit must be a power circuit.
So table 51 says we can use various line colours as a control circuit, and it says we must not use anything but brown for line conductors as a power circuit. And as EFL says, the note under table 51 makes table 52.3 (or at least, the distinction between power and lighting) rather moot.
So I think the only thing we can all agree on completely is that BS7671 is internally inconsistent :mad:

EDIT: And yes, we've gone off on a tangent again. But it's an interesting one all the same :whistle:

MOD: Thread gone off at quite a tangent don't you think.
It has, but not only is it quite interesting, but it also does remain largely on topic because of the implications of what is being discussed in relation to the permissible colour identification of a switched L.

I would draw your attention to the notes below Table 51: "(1) Power circuits include lighting circuits." RIP Table 52.3.
It does, and I almost mentioned that earlier. However, I suspect/presume that what it means is that "for the purpose of this table, Power circuits include lighting circuits". ... so the nonsense of Table 52.3 probably still applies as far as Table 52.3 is concerned!

Kind Regards, John

Taken literally, then (looking back at my diagram) everything after the isolator (actually a FCU) is one "circuit" (collection of stuff protected by one OCD). So therefore, replacing the boiler as discussed makes things interesting since the whole circuit must be a control circuit, and the whole circuit must be a power circuit.
Yes, but I thought you had agreed with me a while back that, in the context of our discussion, "circuit" is not the right word, so neither the 'traditional' or BS7671 definition of "a circuit" really applies.

Kind Regards, John

It does, and I almost mentioned that earlier. However, I suspect/presume that what it means is that "for the purpose of this table, Power circuits include lighting circuits". ... so the nonsense of Table 52.3 probably still applies as far as Table 52.3 is concerned!
All it had to say, then, was "power and lighting circuits" - but it didn't so can't have it both ways.

Loads to answer but not much to add.

The question has developed into: when a circuit contains power and control elements what is it? I say the complexity moves it to control.

Therefore green and blue boxes are both under the control engineer.

Which takes it right back to my earlier comments.

Loads to answer but not much to add. The question has developed into: when a circuit contains power and control elements what is it? I say the complexity moves it to control.
It's obviously open to debate, and BS7671 is seemingly silent on the matter. Your view may well be 'operationally reasonable' in truly complex situations, even if not based on any 'electrical logic' - but I would question the 'complexity' of a simple circuit which, say, supplied a control signal to a boiler and power to a pump. In any event, in terms of this thread, I remain of the view that it is not really either appropriate or useful to describe a lighting circuit with a manual switch as a 'control circuit'!
Therefore green and blue boxes are both under the control engineer.
Again, quite probably 'operationally reasonable' if the situation is complex, but not really based on anything electrical.

Kind Regards, John

All it had to say, then, was "power and lighting circuits" - but it didn't so can't have it both ways.
It can have it both ways because it's not legal text, e.g. legislation. The clear intent of these two tables is beyond any reasonable question whatsoever. Certainly comment upon the poor wording to JPEL/64 when the next draft is out (assuming it hasn't been corrected for that) - but it's extremely silly to pretend that it means anything other than what it very obviously means.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back