Sycamores

I

imamartian

I live backing on to a farm, but the land immediately next to me is a small wood. On one side there is a huge sycamore, and next to it a small clearing. However, for a few years the odd sprouting sycamore has surfaced and i really don't want them to grow and block out my light.

So questions...

- have i any right to light (i've been here 12 years, so doubt that)
- how much trouble would i be in if i chopped them down (there is a TPO on the established trees, does this apply to new trees? and obviously they belong to the farmer!)
- how can i poison them before they get too big? (there are half a dozen now about 10ft tall).
- should i move house?

Sponsored Links
if you do not like it there move simples, its better to live next to a wood than a house full of asylum seekers or whatever

We can't tell you if the tpo covers new trees too, there are different types such as woodland tpo or group tpo which could. See http://www.southbucks.gov.uk/enviro...vation/tree_preservation/protected_trees.aspx

That said, sycamore is a weed and it's unusual to have a tpo at all, so are you sure the big tree is covered?

But whatever, no. You don't have a right to light. If the trees are not overhanging your boundary there is not anything you can do. If they are, you can prune back without permission in a vertical line from your boundary, and return any usable cordwood to the owner.

You should be talking to the tree's owner. Farmers are usually reasonable, and ime, if you approach them making it clear you're not asking them to do anything or spend anything, they might allow you to do any required work yourself.

BTW, even when it's cut down to ground level, sycamore will continue to sprout and send up suckers along its root structure for five or more years.

We can't tell you if the tpo covers new trees too, there are different types such as woodland tpo or group tpo which could. See http://www.southbucks.gov.uk/enviro...vation/tree_preservation/protected_trees.aspx

That said, sycamore is a weed and it's unusual to have a tpo at all, so are you sure the big tree is covered?

But whatever, no. You don't have a right to light. If the trees are not overhanging your boundary there is not anything you can do. If they are, you can prune back without permission in a vertical line from your boundary, and return any usable cordwood to the owner.

You should be talking to the tree's owner. Farmers are usually reasonable, and ime, if you approach them making it clear you're not asking them to do anything or spend anything, they might allow you to do any required work yourself.

BTW, even when it's cut down to ground level, sycamore will continue to sprout and send up suckers along its root structure for five or more years.

if there were oscars for DIYnot answers (now there's an idea!!!), then this answer would be nominated. Thank-you.

The big sycamore is protected because i have twice asked the council for permission to have it cut back, as it did overhang my garden. Funnily enough, the willow next to it did not have a TPO on it. These sycamores are new trees.
I could quite easily wander round and hack them down (as i have done for a few years), but i'd like a more permanent solution.

Sponsored Links
Don't know for sure, but have heard hammering in copper nails will see most trees off.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back