Tree Killer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently moved in and wish to remove an old sycamore and elm tree. I would like to let them die off naturally over the next year or so. Does any one know of any poisons that can be used?
I have considered a tree surgeon but think this will be to sudden!

Sponsored Links
You don't say how big these trees are? If its an english elm it may not for live very long. They usually die off from Dutch elm disease after about 10 years. Some elm varieties don't succumb to it so you may be unlucky.

You could try cutting into the bark with an axe and coating with sodium chlorate or SBK brushwood killer.
You could also try ring-barking. You cut out 2 or3 inches of bark in a circle all the way round the tree. The water and nutrients are taken up just under the bark so this will eventually kill it off. I don't how long it would take on a big tree though. You also have to remember you still have to get someone to cut it down and take it away. If the trees die and a big gale blows them down on to your house, would you be able to claim insurance?

Thanks, sycamore is about 15 years old and some 15m high the elm is about the same age. They are in open land so risk of damage to adjacent property is small. I was looking for a chemical I can put on the ground for the roots.

I had a similar problem. A 25 foot sycamore that was casting a huge shadow over the garden and in autumn the whole yard was 2ft deep in leaves, and the seeds would sprout up everywhere! What I did was get a surgeon in and he got rid of it. I was considering killing it, but most people said it was too big. The problem with SBK etc. is they act better on freshly cut stumps and the like, not a health trees. If you kill it, the tree won't shrivel up and die. It will still be there. By all means have a go, but long term you're gonna have get it chopped down. The beauty of that is the surgeon will also shred the remains and cart it away. This is another reason I called him in. There's only a door to access my backgrarden.

good luck. :D

Sponsored Links
Would I be right in thinking these trees are not on your land and you don't want anyone to notice you killing them?

Theres a very strong chance that the elm will have a TPO on it. If thats the case, dont touch it, without permission.

Thanks for all the help. The Elm is on my land and I will check if theres a PO on it. The sycamore is along a shared boundry so a "natural" death would be more approprioate, I clearly need to be patient!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back