Advice for tree surgery on a border straddling tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a large tree at the front of my house which sits on the border between my house and next door. I want the tree cutting down to a stump because the branches are hitting my wall and windows, this gets much worse in summer. Next door they have the same problem.

However, the house next door is rented to a young couple so firstly does anyone know whose responsibility it is to pay for a tree surgeon on their part ? Landlord or tenant ? I'm yet to go round and talk to them about it because I want to be armed with all the info I can get first. I've got a feeling they'll say no because they don't want to pay for it.

If they say no could I go to the local council to try to force action ?

If they said yes then how would one normally go about hiring a tree surgeon who presumably would be seeking payment from two separate parties ? Can't imagine many tree surgeons would be happy with that.

Thanks, Lee.

Sponsored Links
I would have a word with the people next door to let them know that you would like to take it down and to ask for the details of the landlord to speak to him/her about it as well. Since it's rented surely the landlord would have to be involved at some point.

You seem to be assuming that there will be some big fight over it which might not really be the best way to start. You never know: the tenants and/or the landlord might be willing to go halves on the cost making it pretty straightforward.

On whose side of the boundary line is the tree trunk?

make sure it hasn't got a preservation order on it if its an old or similar to other places in the road

Sponsored Links
On whose side of the boundary line is the tree trunk?

It's on the boundary line, there's no fence or wall to set a definitive boundary though, I'm just standing where my front wall connects to theirs and shooting an imaginary straight line with my arm to where our two border fences on the back connect. My imaginary laser beam cuts through the center of the tree. Hope that makes sense!

The couple argue a lot and generally seem like ne'er do well's, I know I'm judging too soon, I've only said hello to the young chap once and that's it but they seem the types to have a problem with me knocking on their door, nevermind telling them I want our tree gone and them to pay half the cost.

I'd say it would be down to the landlord, although he is unlikely to care so unlikely to want to pay. No responsibility on the tenants, unless it bothers them enough to want to pay (again unlikely)

Can't you just chop the branches on your side that bang on your windows/wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back