Tree recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new poster here.

I am about to move into a new house and there are 8 30 foot leylandii trees down one side. Needles to say, these little eyesore are going to go asap. Looking at previous posts I am torn between hiring someone to grind them down or rip the roots and stumps out... but that is not a problem as I will get a tree surgeon in to do this.

What I was wondering is, can anyone recommend and trees to replace them. I live in Slough ( :confused: ) so the soil is fairly good. The placing will not be too exposed but should get full sunlight. We will be buying mature trees if possible and want ones that are will grow reasonably quickly, are indigenous if possible and have nice shape or leaf colour. We were looking at various birches and perhaps acer... but have heard that there were problems with these.

So, any experienced gardeners got any ideas?

(PS We are moving from a flat without garden to a house with a 160 foot garden, so I suspect there might be a lot of time spend out there over the next few years).

Sponsored Links
What do you want the trees to do? Normally leylandii are grown to act as a hedge or to block something (normally your neighbour's light :) ). If you are thinking of replacing them with deciduous trees then you will have a trunk before the canopy of the tree branches out.

If you want to have shade then you should go for a broad leafed tree but if you want something more attractive you could consider something like rowan.

Difficult to recommend anything as it's your personal choice. Try going round some landscape gardens for some ideas?

Sponsored Links
We recently wanted to plant a hedge to screen a new build behind us. As we have a fairly small garden we whent for hornbeam. We have heavy clay soil and bought bare rooted hornbeam at about 8ft high. They will take a wile to fill out but should look good.

nice info, but i bet thy have got it sorted now, thepost was first made nearly a month ago, may i suggest you see item 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back