Big bay laurel tree in small garden - to keep or not to keep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum Members,

I am in a bit of a quandary and wanted to pick your brains.

My partner and I recently bought a mid-terraced Victorian house. This house has a small garden area at the back - about 5 m X 6 m. In the corner of this garden we have a large, mature Bay Laurel tree ("Laurus nobilis"). We have been told that it is around 50-70 years old. I have included some photos at the end of this message.

We love this tree and it was a small albeit definite plus for us when we bought the house. The garden is otherwise barren.

I had a good tree surgeon come in earlier today to get advice on and a quotation for 40-50% crown reduction primarily to allow more light to reach the house but also to improve the aesthetics of the tree.

After a good 20 minute discussion with the tree surgeon we arrived at 2 options:

(1) Option 1 - Crown reduction - £300

This includes 50% crown reduction, chopping off some of the branches that go into the neighbours' area and something called a "fin" (not sure what this is... probably I misheard him since I cannot find anything online for this term) that would improve the look of the tree by remove the entangling branches near the bottom of the crown. The price includes extraction, removal and disposal of all waste generated from then crown reduction.

Option 1 is what we had in mind all along. Regarding Option 1 I want to ask the forum if
(1a) The price seems okay.
(1b) the work i.e. 50% crown reduction plus some other work is adequate and if you would recommend something less or something more.
(1c) What is a "fin"?

With option 1 the tree surgeon recommended that we ought to keep the tree maintained at least once every 2 years to keep it in good shape.

(2) Option 2 - Tree removal - £650

As soon as the tree surgeon saw the tree he also recommended that we ought to seriously consider removing the tree because (a) it was too large for a small garden (b) eventually the roots will cause issues to the house structure especially because crown reduction will stimulate root growth.

The price includes dismantling the tree and grinding the stump to slightly below ground level.

We have never seriously considered Option 2 till now and it would be a bit depressing if we had to go for that. However we do not want the tree roots to cause any damage to the house - that would be much worse than cutting down the tree.

Regarding Option 2 I want to ask the forum if the tree is really a threat or whether it is not as big a risk it could be because the tree is about 6 meters from the house and because it is already mature and will probably not grow much more. What do you think?

sqqv.jpg

a577.jpg

e05f.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think it's too big - out of proportion to the size of the plots around it and the closeness of the buildings.

It's always a shame to fell a tree just because it's inconvenient, but...

Also, it looks like a lot of it is overhanging the boundary - if the neighbours wanted all of that removed, the tree would look a right mess, and might become unviable.

As for root damage - presumably the guy knew what he was talking about. It may be 6m from you, but how far is it from the other houses? And if crown reduction stimulates root growth you could be in trouble if your tree damages someone else's property.

I think you should have it removed, and get on with planning a new garden.

Could the tree surgeon have said a thin - removing congested and crossing branches to give a more open structure? Or perhaps
lifting the crown? What kind of soil are you on?

Much as I love trees, I think I would have it removed. It's out of scale for your size of garden, has encroached the boundary making it impossible to fence properly and is too close to your (and neighbouring?) properties. You say that the rest of your garden is barren at the moment, I think a significant part will stay that way if the tree remains. And for me, it's not a pretty tree - it's very dark and dense - overpowering.

I would have it removed and re-plant with something smaller and with a lighter more open structure and year-round interest.

Have you discussed your thoughts with your neighbours? The tree isn't protected at all?

As for root damage - presumably the guy knew what he was talking about. It may be 6m from you, but how far is it from the other houses?
Now that I think about it, it is indeed only 4-5 meters from one of the wall of the nearest neighbouring house.

Sponsored Links
Could the tree surgeon have said a thin - removing congested and crossing branches to give a more open structure?
Yes, I think that is what he meant so "thin" is probably what he said. Thanks!

What kind of soil are you on?
The house is in London so a generic answer is clay soil. Not sure about a more specific type of soil. Can I ask how the kind of soil makes a difference?

I think a significant part will stay that way if the tree remains.
Why is that so? Is it due to light or due to the water consumption or due to the roots system? Because the tree is in the west corner of the garden and it does not overshadow most of the garden for most part of the day.

Have you discussed your thoughts with your neighbours? The tree isn't protected at all?
Have not discussed it with neighbours. Not sure _what_ to discuss to be honest. No TPOs came up in the searches during the conveyancing process. I might double check with the right authorities before (and if) we decide to remove the tree. However I fear that asking whether there is a TPO might cause them to make it protected causing us more issues.

No TPOs came up in the searches during the conveyancing process. I might double check with the right authorities before (and if) we decide to remove the tree. However I fear that asking whether there is a TPO might cause them to make it protected causing us more issues.

Your local council might have a list of TPOs on their website: mine does.

What kind of soil are you on?
The house is in London so a generic answer is clay soil. Not sure about a more specific type of soil. Can I ask how the kind of soil makes a difference?

Shrinkable clay soil is more problematical with trees close to buildings. RHS info here.

I think a significant part will stay that way if the tree remains.
Why is that so? Is it due to light or due to the water consumption or due to the roots system? Because the tree is in the west corner of the garden and it does not overshadow most of the garden for most part of the day.

A combination of all of those.

We have decided to get rid of the tree.

Even though we love the tree we concluded that the risks arising from having such a large and vigorous tree in a small garden and in close proximity to the neighbour's house and our own house was not a risk worth taking.

The tree surgeon also let us know that regular crown reduction (say every 1-2 years) will keep the crown size low but will stimulate root growth and this will aggravate the situation.

I spoke with a number of people and also did a bit of research online and all of my research validated the 2 points stated above.

We are getting rid of the tree next year (not this year due to it being quite expensive - £650) and will be planting trees more suited to small gardens. RHS has good guidance on this on their website.

It's always a shame to remove a healthy tree but sometimes it's the right thing to do. I think you and your neighbours will be surprised at the change it brings to your gardens and FWIW, I would do the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back