Tree removal - can I leave the stump?

Sponsored Links
I cut a cherry tree down last year & left the stump about 7ft & put bird feeders etc on it. This year it had a few new branches , which are easy to trim off.
If you leave the stump a few feet you could put a big pot on it or plant round it.

the stump is by far the hardest part to remove. if you leave it it will knock a chunk off the bill. A bay will sucker and shoot so you will need to kill it as said above.

You could leave it to shoot and turn it into a small shrub if you prefer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everybody. I think I will leave the stump with maybe 2-3 feet of it sticking out of the ground. I will try to convert it into a feature of the garden, the possibilities are many - a seat, a table for the bird feeder or a small shrub!

Will post a follow-up photo when we get rid of the tree.

Just reading through your other thread, the bit about stimulating root growth is slightly misleading. If you keep a tree at a certain size, the roots will also stay at a certain size, keep it maintained and it will be ok.
Regular pruning does not mean that there will be shoots coming up through your living room floor!

£650 is a hell of a lot to get rid of one tree. Are there any issues with access? Do they need to bring it all through the house or something?

Get it cut near flush to the ground and poisoned. A stump grinder is risky if used that close to the fence, and might take out half the fence with it.
(Talking of which, where are your fence posts?)

Get a couple more quotes, and beware the fact that there are many cowboys and chancers in the tree business.

Hello Deluks,

Yes, I believe the access to the garden is through the house and that too via a narrow corridor. The workers will have to take out pieces of the tree manually to the front of the house to the chipper. Also this is London proper so I think the price reflects that.

About the stump - in your experience are there any issues in leaving about 2 feet of it sticking out of the ground and making it into a feature of the garden? I am okay with, if necessary, cutting away the shoots/suckers that grow every now and then.

What do you think?

Also does anybody know if gardeners'/tree surgeons' rates fall during autumn or winter months due to fall in demand?

Thanks.

Its easier in winter...No leaves.
Just had a thought. Does it keep its leaves as its a laurel

You might be able to haggle a bit in winter, the proper guys are usually still working, at least the chancers put their tools away when the weather's bad.

Whereabouts in London are you?
It's about half a days work for 3 men, or full day for 2 guys. Probably a bit less if they're grafters.

No problem leaving the stump.

Is there any exterior access via a neighbours garden? Removing a fence panel can save a lot of hassle. Even if you have to bung the neighbour a drink for the minor inconvenience.

I live in south London, SE15 in Peckham / Nunhead.

Unfortunately, no easy external access at all, even via a neighbour's garden. My house is technically end-of-terrace because it is the last in a row of terraced houses. However at right angles, all along the length of the house+garden are the garden areas of another row of terraced houses. Therefore even if I were to carry the waste to a neigbour's garden it would still have to be carried through his house.

This is a major inconvenience with the house... a few months ago I took out about 25-30 sq-m of 20 cm thick concrete from the back area... and the most difficult part of the job was carting all the concrete rubble out.

To be fair, you could tackle the job your self over a long period of time, chop a few branches off each week with a handsaw and ladder. Leave the big limbs and stump to the chainsaw guys. No small undertaking but doable if you want to diy it.

@Deluks,

I would have done but it but the following factors dissuade me
(a) Previous owners of the house have already chopped off most of the lower level branches and thus the tree crown is already quite high.
(b) Quite a few thick branches overhang neighbours' properties.
(c) Am wary of making this big tree "unbalanced" in case it tips over in a strong wind or something (probably an unfounded fear)

I have a few stumps in my garden which need getting rid off. Had a tree surgeon round and got a quote of 1200!
Rather buy a chainsaw and do it myself!

winter is tree cutting time! so dont think its going to be any cheaper jsut because its got a little bit cold.

buy a 30 inch bahco bow saw for £10 and you can cut the stump to within inches of the ground then buy an axe and chop the remainder into mush and you'll have it done in a couple of hours even if youve never done it before.

buy some welding gloves to keep you warm, keep you interested, stop you suffering or putting a bow saw blade through your fingers.

personally if the tree isnt sapping any sunlight i would keep it there because you wont realise how empty and exposed youre going to feel once that thing is gone!

its chosen the perfect spot to grow in. no awkward trunk growing in the middle of the garden and looks healthy enough.

if youre worried about roots then put some barriers around the drains or wherever you are worried the roots might want to cause disruption.

£650 doesnt sound too shabby but id tell them id want the stump gone included in that price. tipping costs, insurance, day rates x ?, tax, wear on equipment etc... i dont think you will get a professional any cheaper-but do look on arbtalk.co.uk and you might get chatting to someone who can give you a better price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back