Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We've moved into a "new" old house.

We have the following
- Vaillant Ecotec Plus 637 boiler

- very old copper hot water cylinder in basement

- header tank in loft.

Something is tripping the circuit that the Boiler and Cylinder are on.

We do not need hot water from the Cylinder.

As we intend to renew/remove all of these items, we don't want to spend money on something that will be thrown out.

We wondered if it would be possible to
- turn off the hot water part of the system, so that we can switch off/disconnect the Cylinder. (we don't want the cylinder heating water, as we aren't using it)

- We do however need the Boiler to still provide heating.

We will be getting a professional to do this, but was wondering about what sensible options might be as we do not want the Cylinder in operation in any event.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What exactly is tripping ,MCB ,RCD ?
What else is on the same circuit besides the boiler ?
What ,electrically ,is connected to the cylinder ?
You can isolate the water and drain the cylinder ,but that's really nothing to do with electrics tripping.

Is the immersion switched on? My immersion shares the same feed as the central heating so if I had a problem with my immersion and it was switched on, I guess my boiler feed would be knocked out too.

Thanks.

I'm not really concerned about what is tripping the circuit. I'm going to leave that to professional to figure out.

What I would like to do when said pro is here, is "switch off" the Hot Water Cylinder. So that it it is no longer operational as we do not use the hot water from it.

That possible?

Sponsored Links
It depends on how your heating works. If it’s on a y-plan, this could be tripping and cause issues in the winter, when you need it. It is possible to not use it, but recommend draining it off at least.

What I would like to do when said pro is here, is "switch off" the Hot Water Cylinder. So that it it is no longer operational as we do not use the hot water from it.
As I’ve said, to 'switch off' the hot water cylinder, just do that by switching off the immersion element (if its switched on). You should also be able to 'switch off' the gas heated hot water by just switching off the hot water side of the system at your programmer.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Will the hot water cylinder still be filled by the boiler system, if the hot water side is turned off? Thanks

Thank you.

Will the hot water cylinder still be filled by the boiler system, if the hot water side is turned off? Thanks
If by "turning off" the hot water side ,you are referring to switching off electric controls ,then that will have no effect on the water supply to the cylinder from the loft tank and the cylinder will still be full of water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back