System boiler with no pump overrun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My sister in law is wanting a new system boiler fitted to her 8 year old property, she has had two people out so far for a price and they have both stated that the boiler she has in now does not have a pump over run and the new type does which needs a cable from boiler to pump but the pump is on the top floor of property and does not want the up heavel of disturbing decoration etc for this cable, is there any type of boiler out there that does not need this "pump overrun", old boiler is an ideal?

Cheers geoff

Sponsored Links
Some boilers don't need a pump overrun. Get some more installers to quote.

Fitting an Intergas 18ov. Originally it wasn't going to have one, but we found a mystery cable that will do nicely. So it's getting one.

Thanks for replys

She was hoping it was just going to be a straight swap what she had been told originally now it's turning into a bit of a problem. So with a pump inside is it just a case of leaving the original pump in and disconnecting the wiring?

Cheers Geoff

Sponsored Links
No.

If the pump needs an overrun then the cable needs to Carry a permanent and switched live for a system boiler.

If you have a heat only boiler, then some will be a direct swap.

Otherwise you are up the creak.

:LOL: :LOL: there was this lovely bit of 3 core tucked behind the wiring centre and side trim.

On the hunt for those funky bricks now. Just found some on 'tother side of town. Shame I left my wallet at home. :oops:

Do you need 115mm masonry discs? I ordered 5 the wrong size.

You want me to loan you a float as well as passing on the work?

If a boiler needs a pump over run there are some ways to provide it without a cable being in place.

One is with an over run unit at the pump. This keeps it running for say five minutes after it was last powered.

Another is using a wireless connection!

Perhaps you need a more clued up installer to quote.

Or use a system boiler as suggested.

Tony

"One is with an over run unit at the pump. This keeps it running for say five minutes after it was last powered."

What? Maybe a clockwork spring bolted on the end of the pump, or maybe a huge flywheel to utilise kinetic energy.
Where's the live feed coming from?

"Another is using a wireless connction!"

Same question.

(what the hell is a connction?)

A "connction" is the word "connection" with the "e" missing.

I thought that you would have realised that, but have edited it anyway.

Tony

Either a system boiler or heat only boiler, both need a perm live.

Op, you have to run new cable if heat only boiler need pump overrun. Is the pump in airing cupboard? And is it on first floor? I should be able to run new cable without damage any decoration easy.

Daniel.

Thanks guys

She is going to get a couple of more quotes to see what her options are.

Danny, it's a town house so boiler is on the ground floor in utility room and storage cylinder is on the 3rd floor in airing cupboard.

Tony, do you know of the make/model of the external pump overrun they could perhaps use?

Cheers geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back