System identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Following a project house purchase i was hoping someone would be able to identify the set up for me. We will be renewing it all in due course and installing a combo boiler etc but in the interim I could do with someone IDing the parts..

There is a tank in the loft space so assuming this is a traditional gravity fed system.

However it doesn't appear that the boiler is heating the water as the boiler isn't on enough currently to be heating piping hot water.

Am I right in assuming there is an electrical system heating the hot water.

The clock you can see in the board is happily ticking away...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6722.JPG
    IMG_6722.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6724.JPG
    IMG_6724.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6723.JPG
    IMG_6723.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6725.JPG
    IMG_6725.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Third picture is an immersion heater timer. So I'd guess gas heating and electric hot water.
The Programmer has Central Heating and Hot Water controls so looks like the possibility of gas and / or electrically heated hot water.

There is a tank in the loft space so assuming this is a traditional gravity fed system.
The correct term for a hot water cylinder fed by a tank in the loft is 'open vented'.

The expression 'gravity' is used to refer to a system where the central heating is pumped and the hot water relies solely on natural (gravity) circulation. You may have this arrangement, because the main problem with it is the hot water can take a long time to get hot. If you do, it's not a quick fix to convert it to a fully pumped system, it requires motorised valve(s) and extensive wiring, all of which would become redundant if you were to move to a combi in the future.

Having said that, in the photo of the programmer hot water is shown as set to 'off' and the heating set to 'on'. That configuration is not normally possible with a basic gravity hot water system.

I have no idea what the remaining third timeswitch (in the 1st Photo) is for it seems to be part of the consumer unit, so it could be wired to pretty much anything. Maybe it's not used anymore, or it controls some exterior lights perhaps.

For more information you need to confirm what sort of pipe system the boiler is connected to. For example:

1. Basic gravity hot water with pumped central heating
2. Gravity hot water with pumped central heating and 'C Plan' control
3. Fully pumped system 'S Plan' controls
4. Fully pumped system 'Y Plan' controls
5. Something else

If you are not sure, an internet search will provide you with details of each type of system to enable you to identify what you have.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend you get that boiler serviced before you use it as they are great old boilers but can be dangerouse if not checked as they are positive pressure and really need regular servicing

Sponsored Links
The Programmer has Central Heating and Hot Water controls so looks like the possibility of gas and / or electrically heated hot water.

The correct term for a hot water cylinder fed by a tank in the loft is 'open vented'.

The expression 'gravity' is used to refer to a system where the central heating is pumped and the hot water relies solely on natural (gravity) circulation. You may have this arrangement, because the main problem with it is the hot water can take a long time to get hot. If you do, it's not a quick fix to convert it to a fully pumped system, it requires motorised valve(s) and extensive wiring, all of which would become redundant if you were to move to a combi in the future.

Having said that, in the photo of the programmer hot water is shown as set to 'off' and the heating set to 'on'. That configuration is not normally possible with a basic gravity hot water system.

I have no idea what the remaining third timeswitch (in the 1st Photo) is for it seems to be part of the consumer unit, so it could be wired to pretty much anything. Maybe it's not used anymore, or it controls some exterior lights perhaps.

For more information you need to confirm what sort of pipe system the boiler is connected to. For example:

1. Basic gravity hot water with pumped central heating
2. Gravity hot water with pumped central heating and 'C Plan' control
3. Fully pumped system 'S Plan' controls
4. Fully pumped system 'Y Plan' controls
5. Something else

If you are not sure, an internet search will provide you with details of each type of system to enable you to identify what you have.

Thank you Stem. I will do some research first thing in the morning.

I would highly recommend you get that boiler serviced before you use it as they are great old boilers but can be dangerouse if not checked as they are positive pressure and really need regular servicing

I agree wholeheartedly. It will only be in a short time before we replace but will get it checked out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back