System Restore

Wow! I thought my replies were long! :D

Sorry, I'm so used to working on compaq/hp laptops I forgot this could be a desktop.
The only real difference IME, is that desktops tend to have more standard well known components that you are likely to find drivers for, though this can't be assumed.

Putting "Presario SR1000" into google.co.uk gives us the HP support website at the top of the hits, but you see a lot of different models. Then searching in this page on "SR1460UK" gives another long list with SR1460UK in it, choosing this gives us:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...skId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=457249

Here we see the driver downloads and see that there are only XP drivers from HP for this machine. Don't take this as anything other than HP not bothering with this model, doesn't mean yes or no for W7.

The spec of your machine looks good to me for going with W7, and the report you post is promising as far as I can see.
Most of the failures are not an issue, either because there are not needed for W7, or have suitable free replacements. The modem looks dodgy (if you need the modem), so if it's essential, you must check further, but it could well still just find a suitable driver from MS once you are internet connected, or even work with a generic driver.
I've found generally the main gotcha's are graphics card (ok here), sound card (ok here) and network interface if you use it (ok here). Otherwise, often the next to watch are the m/board components, but you look to be ok.
You must check your printer's website for W7 drivers and software, although even if there are none, there's a good change it will still have MS drivers available (but more of a 'try it and see' senario then - so a small risk), also googling any unknowns for W7 will maybe get you feedback on others having done same. In fact you may even find others who have converted your model PC to W7, so google is your friend here.

You could really benefit from another Gig RAM, but this is easy to fit and fairly cheap (25-30 ukp, maybe even cheaper). Just make sure it matches.

You must have something to backup data to (should do this anyway, don't trust one hard disk with your irreplaceable photos or whatever).

Personally, with your PC, I'd go for it, but then I know I'm better off with 7 (and quite like it), if XP's done you proud and has no problems, then is it worth it?

I believe there is still a 90 day demo you can download from MS if you don't want to risk paying first before you know it works, but have your data backed up, and an XP install disk so you can recover if it all goes wrong! :)

I'm not the worlds greatest expert, but I often get pretty close to right *most* of the time. I think you've a very good chance, but you need to allow for the possibility of problems, don't take this as a guarantee!

You don't have a modern whizzy PC, but from your stated use, I think that you'd be fine with the extra 1G RAM. Some people may feel I'm leading you up the path expecting to use Win7 on this machine, but I feel that often PC's and laptops are overspecced for what the user really needs. Don't expect to get another 3/4 years satisfactory use though (though you never know), you need to bear in mind that often an OS upgrade can also tempt application upgrades (like going from Office 2003 to Office 2010, for example), and you may start to see slowdowns with this sort of thing.

- Always be prepared to go back to your old OS (data backup, XP install disk, critical drivers (esp. network card so you can download more drivers) etc.), and you can only lose time (and learn a lot more about your PC too!).

Sponsored Links
Oh yeh, forgot to say, if anything is a problem, I'd bet on your accountancy software, don't know what it is but it's the most likely to be am issue. that said w7 doesn't do badly on this count, and there's also a free XP virtual machine that integrates well, and runs a lot of XP stuff that W7 pukes on (just a little slow, and eats your RAM).

Try here and let me know what it says reference you Java: http://www.javatester.org/version.html
That may as well have be written in Ubykh, means bug-ger all to me :confused:

It tells you what version of Java you have and if its out of date.

would also try uninstalling Java (or deleting the program files and running a registry cleaner like ccleaner if uninstalling fails) and downloading it and installing the latest version (from the second link I provided).
done that, deleted all Java and new install worked :D
but you have baffled me with the misc stuff

The misc stuff are suggestions of what I consider are better verions of the more common software as well as some advisable security measures.

Thanks for the reply daozen,
Must admit things seem to be a bit quicker.
So regarding the Misc Stuff
I have as you will know
Avast
malwarebtyes(anti-malware)
super antispyware
comodo firewall
ccleaner
winpatrol
plus rapport
are we okay with that or do we need to think of either adding something or swapping about some of these for better?
The other thing is for some internet explorer wont download adode flash.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply daozen,
Must admit things seem to be a bit quicker.
So regarding the Misc Stuff
I have as you will know
Avast
malwarebtyes(anti-malware)
super antispyware
comodo firewall
ccleaner
winpatrol
plus rapport
are we okay with that or do we need to think of either adding something or swapping about some of these for better?
The other thing is for some internet explorer wont download adode flash.

While I'm still not convinced by rapport the rest are fine. I would recommend ditching IE for firefox. I'd uninstall adobe flash in the control panel then try again if you want to persevere with IE.

Other than that you should be fine.

Yep I have gone off IE, but it's my default setting.
I have been using Google Chrome(which I can view PDFs and clips with, where I can't with IE), but when I click the icon for GC it does not give the option to use this as my default browser, I'm sure it used to.
What would happen if I just deleted IE?

You can't delete IE its now an integral part of windows,ie, you need it for windows updates.

If you go to Options in Chrome, the last option in the Basics tab is to make Chrome your default browser. I personally don't like Chrome due to paranoia over privacy.

I personally don't like Chrome due to paranoia over privacy.

Have a look at Chromium, which is where Chrome comes from. SRWare Iron is a good one to check out. Basically Chrome without the Google snooping.

I use chromium on linux though I prefer firefox as its addons are far superior.

Apart from firefox I use QtWeb which is very good too.

I use chromium on linux though I prefer firefox as its addons are far superior.

Apart from firefox I use QtWeb which is very good too.

Good choice!
Personally my brain cell can only cope with a browser with one menu! :)

Sponsored Links
Back