t90xr pumped electric shower - Tee off existing tank flow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am replacing an electric shower for my bruv with a triton t90xr pumped electric as his flow rate is appalling. His current set up is from the cold water mains which I have just found out despite being 100% assured by him he had a tank feed!

The instruction say it must have its own feed from the cold water tank and I am fully aware you must not use mains.
The tank is asbestos and i am loathe to create a new feed so is it ok to tee off the current feed out and disregard the manufacturers advice.
In other words I am asking is the manufacturer advising a perfect scenario but in practise it will work fine from a tee?
thanks for any advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
keep it on its own feed or you can end up starving the shower of water.
when other appliances using the feed are run.

thanks for posting so quick.

i fitted his kitchen a few years ago and am pretty sure i took the feeds from the mains for his appliances. i am guessing only the upstairs bathroom is fed from the tank.

This i can all check later.

from your experience are you saying the only downside from teeing is when water is drawn at the same time? Providing no other water is being drawn then the shower pump should perform fine?

I would only be happy to drill a new hole in his asbestos tank if it was 100% the only option.

it will work off another supply ok.
but when another tap is run the shower flow will reduce.
the main reason i say stick to what they say is if the shower becomes faulty under warranty and triton come out to fix they can say its your fault as you haven't installed the their instructions.

Sponsored Links
great. it is exactly what i thought but wanted a pro to confirm.

should i go for the correct route - any advice with regard to drilling a new hole in asbestos apart from pay someone else to do it!!!! what drill bit? what height from bottom? opposite side to current feed out?

house is about 50 years old. is it likely to be asbestos or that glass reinforced concrete stuff?

just to update.

it was asbestos. i found the word etched on one side.

the tank only fed the boiler as the bathroom and kitchen both take from the mains.
I teed off this in 22mm to the drop to the shower and it all seems ok.

thanks for your help seco.

I would replace that asbestos tank If i where you there not safe to be used even for a bathroom, I found one in my mums old council house many years ago, when I phoned the council to complain they change it emmediatly and also the several hundred other houses on the same estate within months of the initail complaint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back