Table joinary advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would love to try making a rustic table, it would be my first!

What would be the best method or methods for affixing the legs to the rails?

I am particularly thinking of a method that could be disassembled easily if i were to change house one day.

Thank you

Nat

Sponsored Links
The traditional way to make knock-down furniture which could be dismantled was to us mortises and wedges or tusk tenons:

which is hardly a new idea:

but isn't what I'd call "rustic" either (on account of the fact that it requires both accuracy and a bit of skill to achieve)

Select a design first...
http://tinyurl.com/o4fbqhh

Then work from there. Decorative wood bolts, coach screws or decorative drive wedge can do temporary and stable holding.

Then study table top design, board jointing and timber jointing methods and finishing.

A design like this is fairly easy to make...
http://tinyurl.com/p69fg29

And if you're a first time woodworker then "easy" is what you should be aiming for.

Hi guys, thats for taking the time to respond.

This is the table i will aim for;

http://www.stepinit.com/wp-content/...Solid-Wood-Dining-Table-Arts-Bench-Design.jpg

It means i can make the chairs too then!

I love the tusk tenon, so ,uch character.

Yes, easy is what i am striving for, it doesnt have to be perfect as it defeats the purpose if it were. I want to make something that has a story, so by my making it it helps that relationship.

Great ideas!

Nat

Sponsored Links
Not so much rustic as docks and harbours board! There;s a place near Huddersfield does stuff from railway sleepers which looks like that called Jarabosky although they do use proper mortise and tenon joinery

Oh that is a long way from me on the coast!

I like this idea as it has chairs that i could make too.

It wont necessarily be that type of wood but the style is right.

Quite exciting!

new scaffold boards,lose the banding,either brace the boards from underneath or biscuit join them.some decent 4x2 joined or 4x4 for the legs,then stain it to the colour you want.

new scaffold boards,lose the banding,either brace the boards from underneath or biscuit join them.some decent 4x2 joined or 4x4 for the legs,then stain it to the colour you want.
You can buy unbanded scaffold boards cheap.
The look shown is produced by running boards through a planner to quickly so it leave a ribbed effect, by hand you can plane sawn timber roughly to achieve similar look.

ah ok Foxhole, that's a useful tip for the effect.

I was thinking that if I end up buying some new boards I would then 'age' them by striking them with all sorts of various objects to give them a mottled and beaten effect.

I would then stain it and varnish it unless other techniques crop up before then. It really is a blank canvas at the moment.

Payday this week so I would hope to start at the weekend!

Ta

Nat

I used similar method to make this cupboard look aged and rustic.
Has an oak top but the rest is cheap planking and aged the ironwork with an angle grinder. Finish with polish after dying base timber.

WOW!

Yes, that is the kind of thing I am after

Maybe I will do some other things aftwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back