Tado smart trvs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have the tado wired starter kit fitted in our home, this allows me to control the heating and hot water from my phone, currently all radiators come on and off together.

If I fit tado smart trvs am I right in thinking I will be able to control the heating of each individual radiator, and once it reaches the trv set temperature the heating to that rad will switch off?

If using smart trvs do I just need to open the lockshield to full and let the trv take care of it all or do I still need to keep the balancing?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Not a Plumber/Heating Engineer but have been looking into Smart Control - Honeywell and Tado.

As I understand, the System should still be balanced.

The Smart TRVs do the job of you periodically going around the House and turning the Standard TRVs up and down.
In addition they talk to the Tado Controller and can make the Boiler fire.
At the moment, if your Room Stat reaches Temp the Boiler will shut off. With the Smart TRVs, the Rooms that are not up to set Temp will signal that they need heat and fire the Boiler.

You do not have to fit them in all Rooms. Spare Bed, you might want to keep at a constant low Temp.

Have you got standard TRVs already?
Tado and the like are just TRV Heads. Not all TRVs are compatible.
There is a chat function on the Tado Site for Support and advice.

Currently have trvs on all rads apart from the bathroom.

As a minimum I could do with the bedroom trvs being able to be controlled seperatley to downstairs.

Also the radiator in the wife's office is oversized so could do with it just reaching a temperature and stop and then come on again when temp drops again instead of being on all the time even at a lower temp.

Chris

Do some homework and put them on all the rads if you can.
I have, works a treat.

Example: NOT heating a bathroom(s) 24/7 is good, but being able to walk into one and twist the valve head and get a warm towel quickly is great (or get the room warm before/during/after a shower or bath etc).

Just one of many advantages i have found.
You will need to do a bit of homework though. Make sure you have a working boiler bypass if needed, etc. Nothing too difficult.

Sponsored Links
My bathroom rad is only on with the heating, it's just always on full temp as no trv.

What I want from the system is the ability to alter the heating on different rads at different times, ie downstairs heating on at 6am, office on at 7.30am, upstairs rads to be on half hour longer after downstairs heating at the end of the day etc.

I plan to put them on all rads apart from the room where the thermostat is otherwise they will be fighting each other, unless smart thermostats allow me to do away with the thermostat completely.

Chris

My bathroom rad is only on with the heating, it's just always on full temp as no trv.

What I want from the system is the ability to alter the heating on different rads at different times, ie downstairs heating on at 6am, office on at 7.30am, upstairs rads to be on half hour longer after downstairs heating at the end of the day etc.

I plan to put them on all rads apart from the room where the thermostat is otherwise they will be fighting each other, unless smart thermostats allow me to do away with the thermostat completely.

Chris

There is no need for a thermostat if you have a smart trv.
Wiser supply you one which you can use to control a room (ie a number of grouped rads) and the nice thing about the wiser system is the thermostat, where used, takes priority over the rad of the room it is controlling.
The rad in my lounge is buried behind furniture so the stat i got with the system is now used as a master (Again, it isn't needed).

There is no stat/rad interference. It isn't a mechanical system.

I have different rooms on/off at different times. I have zero-zoned it.
Not sure if your tado does this but i couldn't see why not. Its all the same thing.

Not 100% on how the Tado works in the Room where the Thermostat is.
Honeywell, the Thermostat (In the Controller) measures the Temp and operates the Smart TRV in that Room.

Do you have a TRV in the Office?
The Smart TRV does the same job as you manually turning it up/down.
TRVs are flow or no flow. I guess with an oversized Rad, it stops flowing but still has a lot of heat to dissipate?

Yup, my office has a STRV and thats how i keep it warm during the day.

The modern controls adjust and monitor the heat gain loss of the room to round-out the temperature.

Works great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back