Tado Thermostat and Older Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone installed a TADO thermostat on a Worcester Bosch 24CDI (although im sure the 28, 32CDI etc will be the same).

Currently we have the boiler in the bathroom, and a HoneyWell CM927 wireless thermostat in the living room. The receiver is connected to the boiler, and the thermostat just calls for heating etc and on/off it goes.

Looking at a TADO as i like the idea of AppleHome integration, but when asking TADO themselves, they seem to give conflicting information, one says its compatible, one says its not due "to the different language the thermostat speaks" (Whatever thats meant to mean). As the TADO has its own relay i think, why would it not be possible to replace the honeywell one with this, connect the internet bridge to the router and then surely it should work?

Or am i just being hopeful? Anyone have one working on this type of boiler?
(Their website says it will work with ALMOST ALL boilers too)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You are correct. From an electrical wiring point of view, a Tado thermostat is just a simple on/off switch, exactly the same as your existing Honeywell. So, no problem wiring Tado to an old boiler.

AFAIK the AppleHome Kit relates to the way that Tado communicates with the app on your mobile device, so has no interface with the boiler. Although to be fair I've never seen it or used it, but have a fair bit of experience installing several variants of Tado. If anyone has more or different information, I'm sure they will be along soon.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks. Just looking at the existing wiring on the honeywell relay, i can see the live and neutral in N and L. And the Black and grey wires in A and B. so on the TADO i think it would need N and L into the respective N and L connectors, black into CH COM and grey into CH NO and then that to me should work, thats my assumption anyway without looking a bit further, just a bit baffled buy the responses from TADO. the only thing i can think of is they are thinking im asking if the TADO thermostat, would work with the honeywell receiver, which i thought id made clear enough wasnt what i was asking.

As for the AppleHome, yeah it has no interface with the boiler, its just adding it to the app on the phone etc. Just as a nice to have, but the main purpose of the ask was to either confirm my suspicions or shoot them down haha, so thank you for the clarification.

I cant see why it wouldnt work, less so why they claimed it wouldnt

Last edited:
looking at the existing wiring on the honeywell relay, i can see the live and neutral in N and L. And the Black and grey wires in A and B. so on the TADO i think it would need N and L into the respective N and L connectors, black into CH COM and grey into CH NO

That's correct. The Honeywell BDR91 relay box's 'on/off switch' is connected to terminals A & B which is equivalent to CH COM and CH NO

Sponsored Links
So unless im missing something, there is no reason to believe it wont work?

So unless we're both missing something there's no reason to believe that it won't work. :)

Click here. to see an earlier example of the wiring, albeit without the AppleHome.

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah thats pretty much what i was expecting. Oh well, unless anyone can say it wont work, ill go buy one i guess

Thank you

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah thats pretty much what i was expecting. Oh well, unless anyone can say it wont work, ill go buy one i guess

Thank you
Please share your experience after installing it as I might follow your lead though I have a different boiler than yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back